What's new

Connecting to BTWiFi

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
My phone is an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1. I have a BT telephone line, use BT internet and have a btinternet email address (though I mainly use a gmail one).

When I am near a BT or a BT-with-FON hotspot, I can select it on my phone in Settings > WiFi. When I do that, a tick appears next to its name without my having to enter a password, etc. (there is actually nowhere to enter it).

But the WiFi icon at the top of the phone screen does not appear. Am I connected to the BT WiFi or not? How can I tell?

Does it say anything at the place where the icon usually is?

Last edited:
My phone is an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1. I have a BT telephone line, use BT internet and have a btinternet email address (though I mainly use a gmail one).

When I am near a BT or a BT-with-FON hotspot, I can select it on my phone in Settings > WiFi. When I do that, a tick appears next to its name without my having to enter a password, etc. (there is actually nowhere to enter it).

But the WiFi icon at the top of the phone screen does not appear. Am I connected to the BT WiFi or not? How can I tell?
Try turning airplane mode on, then turn on WiFi. If you can connect to the WiFi hotspot and get internet access, the connection is working, even if the WiFi signal strength indicator doesn't appear.

Try turning airplane mode on, then turn on WiFi. If you can connect to the WiFi hotspot and get internet access, the connection is working, even if the WiFi signal strength indicator doesn't appear.
That's a brilliant idea, scifan 57. With airplane mode on, I can get internet access with my own home WiFi, but not with BTWiFi-with-FON. That answers my question: I have not managed to connect to BTWiFi.

There is much correspondence about this problem in the BT Care Forum and many suggestions, none of which works, despite my having a BT phone line, BT internet and a BT email address, and my having tried to register for WiFi. Has anyone on this iPhone Forum got an answer?

My latest post seems not yet to have appeared yet, in which I say that I have 'chatted' online with a BT advisor, who merely told me to go to www.btwifi.com, where I found nothing useful. I also said that I would prefer not to deal with this problem by 'phone because I am a little hard-of hearing and have had difficult and ultimately useless 'phone conversations with BT advisors.

The BT WiFi app. wll not work in iOS 4.2.1, which is the latest iOS to work on my iPhone 3G.

Apologies: I was confusing this forum with the BT Care Forum, where I have also been conducting a conversation. That is why my 'latest post' has not appeared here: it was posted in the BT forum.

I'm with BT myself so I know how they are.
I had an issue a little while ago and BT were useless, It was Apple who solved it.
I hope someone has the solution for you.