What's new

Coming Back to iOS - What Happened?!?

Tommy300z

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New here and this is my first post and all, haha. Okay, so two years ago I left iOS for Android. Now I want to come back to iOS. Reason: many issues with Android, that's another discussion... So I just wanted to know, if possible, what happened while I was gone with iOS. I left before multitasking was introduced, actually, right before 3.0... was launched. Just wanted to know some basics, such as if jailbreaking is still GREAT / worth it. And anything else big. Maybe if someone could share below or even just post some links is all. Thanks!

iOS is better than ever (like u actually had to ask). And Jailbreaking gives great freedom. Amazing apps. Welcome back!

Nice to know that jailbreaking is still in haha. Just to ask, what is the latest iOS version number and is it jailbroken? :p

Hey there, Android convert myself. Most recent IOS software is 5.0.1 and yes it is jailbroken. You can find it through GreenPois0n online. Apple is going to release 5.1 when the iPad 3 comes out next month so if you upgrade to that when it is released you may have to wait for the compatible jailbreak. As for whether you should still jailbreak, it is up to you. Since you are coming from android you may miss the ability to customize some aspects of your phone which you will not be able to do with stock IOS so jailbreaking will take care of that. What iPhone are you going to get or have you gotten?

Hey there, Android convert myself. Most recent IOS software is 5.0.1 and yes it is jailbroken. You can find it through GreenPois0n online. Apple is going to release 5.1 when the iPad 3 comes out next month so if you upgrade to that when it is released you may have to wait for the compatible jailbreak. As for whether you should still jailbreak, it is up to you. Since you are coming from android you may miss the ability to customize some aspects of your phone which you will not be able to do with stock IOS so jailbreaking will take care of that. What iPhone are you going to get or have you gotten?

That is what I am trying to decide now. Was wondering if I should go with 4S or wait until September's Apple event for a newer device.

Ah, got ya. Personally I love my 4s, it does everything I need it to plus a heck of a lot more. However the one thing still missing is 4g. My droid was a 4g but sprint had really bad 4g coverage in my area so it was pretty much a non issue for me but it is almost certain that the iPhone 5 will have some kind of 4g capability. So that may be something to consider.

Ah, got ya. Personally I love my 4s, it does everything I need it to plus a heck of a lot more. However the one thing still missing is 4g. My droid was a 4g but sprint had really bad 4g coverage in my area so it was pretty much a non issue for me but it is almost certain that the iPhone 5 will have some kind of 4g capability. So that may be something to consider.

Yup, loved the speed of 4G, but as you said Sprint coverage was terrible. It was so bad I turned off the 4G antenna because it would hunt for signal and kill the battery.

Get the 4S now, my opinion.

I'm sticking with the 4 until the iPhone 5 is released. I've heard people say the "s" in "4s" stands for, "same as the 4".:D

I'm sticking with the 4 until the iPhone 5 is released. I've heard people say the "s" in "4s" stands for, "same as the 4".:D
Hardly. The 4S has: Fixed antenna, Siri personal assistant, an A5 processor (double the speed of the 4's), multitasking...

Not the same at all. Every iPhone that's ever come out has been double to triple the phone of the previous - its just when they add the "s" (3GS, 4S) they're not changing the phone physical design.

Have a 4 n 4s, me and my oldest daughter. I find both to be very similar ;-) yes 4S is faster however the 4 is fast too so I wouldn't go spend more than the little extra it was(an upgrade). In other words I wouldn't do an upgrade exception or buy the phone outright if I have an iPhone4 just to get the 4S. Siri is nifty for directions which I love.

Hardly. The 4S has: Fixed antenna, Siri personal assistant, an A5 processor (double the speed of the 4's), multitasking...

Not the same at all. Every iPhone that's ever come out has been double to triple the phone of the previous - its just when they add the "s" (3GS, 4S) they're not changing the phone physical design.

I haven't had an antenna issue, but I have heard of some reports of bad reception. I use an Otterbox Reflex, which pretty much fixes any antenna issues.

Siri. Meh. It's cool(I tried the Cydia version), but not a must have feature.

It's about 68% faster, not twice(100%) as fast. But both devices are plenty fast. http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/11/iphone-4s-geekbench-benchmarks-68-faster-than-iphone-4/

T
he iPhone 4 has multitasking, not sure where you heard it doesn't.

I haven't had an antenna issue, but I have heard of some reports of bad reception. I use an Otterbox Reflex, which pretty much fixes any antenna issues.

Siri. Meh. It's cool(I tried the Cydia version), but not a must have feature.

It's about 68% faster, not twice(100%) as fast. But both devices are plenty fast. http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/11/iphone-4s-geekbench-benchmarks-68-faster-than-iphone-4/

T
he iPhone 4 has multitasking, not sure where you heard it doesn't.
68% faster is HUGE! You can't make light of it. And Siri's dictation is amazing. But in fairness Dragon Dictate, available for the 4 too is also great. Multitasking went on steroids in the 4s. No comparison to 4. The 5 will have many more new features no doubt. The 4's retina display still makes it a very worthy phone better than most droids. But voice dictation on the car rides home to email or text with Siri is something I can't live without. And it's natural speech to search features Dragon Dictate can't get even close to.

68% faster is HUGE! You can't make light of it. And Siri's dictation is amazing. But in fairness Dragon Dictate, available for the 4 too is also great. Multitasking went on steroids in the 4s. No comparison to 4. The 5 will have many more new features no doubt. The 4's retina display still makes it a very worthy phone better than most droids. But voice dictation on the car rides home to email or text with Siri is something I can't live without. And it's natural speech to search features Dragon Dictate can't get even close to.

How is multitasking different?

A Ford Mustang is fast enough for most, no need to upgrade to a Porsche.

How is multitasking different?

A Ford Mustang is fast enough for most, no need to upgrade to a Porsche.

That a false analogy and you know it.. ;-)

Comparing A5 chip to A4 and Apple server built in dictation to no dictation is more analogous to comparing "a car" to "no car at all".

pianoman said:
That a false analogy and you know it.. ;-)

Comparing A5 chip to A4 and Apple server built in dictation to no dictation is more analogous to comparing "a car" to "no car at all".

Prove it:)

That analogy is for the processor speed only. The 4s is faster, but not everyone needs that speed. The 4 is fast enough for many.

You still haven't shown why/how 4s multitasking is better than the 4:)