What's new

Cloud backup

DukeOfURL

Reaction score
I am in need of a cloud service. I need to transfer files between windows computers, AS WELL as manually or automatically copy my photos at full resolution as just files, with no conversion happening, and hopefully also my contacts from my iphone. Currently I use dropbox, they do all those thing except the contacts, but they just increased their capacity and also rates, and now I wish to move away from them. I do not want to use Apple or iCloud at all.

Can recommend a solution, perhaps Google Drive or GSuite, but I don't know how well they work with iPhone, or what their capabilities/features are.

Thanks

I am not keen on cloud services, although I do have free accounts with Box, Dropbox, etc. but I hardly ever use them; I use iCloud mainly for backups and the Files folder is stored there automatically. I believe that cloud storage like Google want something in return for their free service- e.g. they scan what you put there to target you with advertising or else give just enough free storage to encourage you to pay for extra. I don’t think Apple does the advertising scan with iCloud, but then with my phones and iPad Apple devices, they will target me, to some extent, with adverts anyway.

Have you thought of using a NAS at home? I have started using a Synology NAS which gives me 2Tb of duplicated storage and internet access when away from home. There are pros and cons obviously. Expensive initial cost, depending on what you want to do, but mine is totally under my control. It works with my PC laptops as well as iPhone, iPad. (One of my reasons for moving to the NAS was to bring the content of all my old external hard drives into one place with RAID 1 protection.)

Just a thought.

I have though of things like that, and I don't trust the cloud either. However syncing a folder on my desktop to my laptop is pretty important, and I've come to rely on using dropbox for getting my pictures from my phone, and I'd like to start backing up my contacts also. But with the dropbox raise in rates, I am forced to move away from them, but I'm trying to find a solution.