What's new

Clearing app cahe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dengirl

Reaction score
I thought there was a way to do this and I thought I have before but now I can't find where at in my settings. So of there is a way can someone let me know. I went to the settings and went to twitter and didn't see a clear cache area. Thanks

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but...I double click the Home button, and the open apps show up at the bottom of the screen. I press and hold any of those apps until they shake and little red circles with a minus sign (-) appear. I click on the minus sign of any app I want to close, then press anywhere but the bottom of the screen to close out of that mode. I'm not sure if this clears the cache, but it does seem to help extend the battery life just a bit.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but...I double click the Home button, and the open apps show up at the bottom of the screen. I press and hold any of those apps until they shake and little red circles with a minus sign (-) appear. I click on the minus sign of any app I want to close, then press anywhere but the bottom of the screen to close out of that mode. I'm not sure if this clears the cache, but it does seem to help extend the battery life just a bit.

All that does is quit the paused state that the apps are in freeing a small amount of RAM. Has nothing to do with the app cache.

eddieg said:
What about a hard reset does that clear cache?

Yes. I don't know that is clears app cache tho. Probably does. I'm really not sure.

I clears app cache through MobileTerminal and a script from Cydia called CUC.

All that does is quit the paused state that the apps are in freeing a small amount of RAM. Has nothing to do with the app cache.
Actually - clearing apps from that "menu" does nothing at all for battery life either contrary to popular belief. It's simply a list of recently used apps. Nothing more. It's not apps in RAM or temporary paused status or anything. Not sure where that widely accepted myth started but it's 100% false and easy to verify when you're jailbroken by watching RAM stats as you remove apps from that list. RAM usage will NOT change one bit. It's only a "list".

A related question: does the cache of an iPhone even need to be cleared?

I have heard (rightly or wrongly) that with Windows products, when you close programs, they leave pieces of themselves still open, so eventually, all those open program pieces will clog the memory (or something) and make the computer run more slowly. This appears to be true, since with all the Windows-operated computers I have owned, I have had to restart them periodically, believing I was closing down all programs in the process and starting over. I know they computers HAVE operated better after having restarted them.

I have heard (again rightly or wrongly) that Apple products don't do that, that you can leave programs open or close them and they don't cause problems. Thus, using a whole bunch of programs - or apps - shouldn't mess up an Apple computer or iPhone.

Is there any truth to this?

pianoman said:
Actually - clearing apps from that "menu" does nothing at all for battery life either contrary to popular belief. It's simply a list of recently used apps. Nothing more. It's not apps in RAM or temporary paused status or anything. Not sure where that widely accepted myth started but it's 100% false and easy to verify when you're jailbroken by watching RAM stats as you remove apps from that list. RAM usage will NOT change one bit. It's only a "list".

I know it doesn't have any effect on battery life. I never said it did. I said it clears a small amount of RAM.

You are way wrong on the RAM thing. Kind of.

While your right......that is just a list of recently opened app. Within so many minutes after one of those apps is opened it will stay paused in RAM.

An app will stay paused in RAM (not running....apps don't do that except stock ones) for at least 20 minutes. Maybe 30.

After however long it is iOS automatically frees
RAM by quitting paused processes that have been out of use for so long.... If they didn't, the tweak "Multifl0w" would not work at all. Among other things.

You want to know wether an app is paused in RAM or not. It's only obvious.

When an app is closed and you open it, it has to load before you can tap anything.

Like the Settings.app for example. When you first open the Settings.app, all you see is the pin stripe background then the tabs load. That is when the app is not paused in RAM.

When the app is paused in RAM, you will know because you won't see the pin stripe background. You will be able to tap the tabs instantly.

It only makes perfect sense. that means the app is paused in RAM.

I have a 100% perfect understanding on how iOS multitasking works.

Better then anyone I have ever spoken with......except one developer....who explained to me how iOS multitasking works.

Last edited:
I know it doesn't have any effect on battery life. I never said it did. I said it clears a small amount of RAM.

You are way wrong on the RAM thing. Kind of.

While your right......that is just a list of recently opened app. Within so many minutes after one of those apps is opened it will stay paused in RAM.

An app will stay paused in RAM (not running....apps don't do that except stock ones) for at least 20 minutes. Maybe 30.

After however long it is iOS automatically frees
RAM by quitting paused processes that have been out of use for so long.... If they didn't, the tweak "Multifl0w" would not work at all. Among other things.

You want to know wether an app is paused in RAM or not. It's only obvious.

When an app is closed and you open it, it has to load before you can tap anything.

Like the Settings.app for example. When you first open the Settings.app, all you see is the pin stripe background then the tabs load. That is when the app is not paused in RAM.

When the app is paused in RAM, you will know because you won't see the pin stripe background. You will be able to tap the tabs instantly.

It only makes perfect sense. that means the app is paused in RAM.

I have a 100% perfect understanding on how iOS multitasking works.

Better then anyone I have ever spoken with......except one developer....who explained to me how iOS multitasking works.
I agree 100% with everything you just said, Zig. I'm not sure why you'd think I don't agree- so much so that you'd write a "rebuttal" stating your expertise. :) I knew about the "paused in RAM" functionality of multitasking too.

If you reread my post carefully - you'll note that I said nothing about multitasking and the way RAM is used in iOS. In an earlier post the erroneous notion (myth) that the clearing the APP menu would affect the RAM was being propagated. That's what I had to address. I'm pretty sure you and I agree on that. We'd have to agree because I, too, understand 100% how the iOS deals with apps in RAM. ;-) - and the "recently used apps list" (double clik home button) has NOTHING at all to do with RAM usage.

But it still seems as if you support the idea that even apps that are paused in RAM can be cleared by clearing them from the recently used apps list. I assure you, if you believe that, you're wrong. And it's easily provable if you're watching the RAM usage in one of the several Cydia apps that let you see that it has "0" effect on RAM usage (paused or not).

There's a lot of great info given on these forums - but that particular belief (clearing the recent used apps window clears RAM) is an out and out myth and I still watch people clearing those apps and "believing" they are helping their phone - when they're not.

But I agree with you completely about the "paused in RAM" functionality of multitasking. And the only thing that clears that is, as you said, after a fixed period of time of unuse - and I believe a reboot will also clear it.

Good discussion!

Last edited:
pianoman said:
I agree 100% with everything you just said, Zig. I'm not sure why you'd think I don't agree- so much so that you'd write a "rebuttal" stating your expertise. :) I knew about the "paused in RAM" functionality of multitasking too.

If you reread my post carefully - you'll note that I said nothing about multitasking and the way RAM is used in iOS. In an earlier post the erroneous notion (myth) that the clearing the APP menu would affect the RAM was being propagated. That's what I had to address. I'm pretty sure you and I agree on that. We'd have to agree because I, too, understand 100% how the iOS deals with apps in RAM. ;-) - and the "recently used apps list" (double clik home button) has NOTHING at all to do with RAM usage.

But it still seems as if you support the idea that even apps that are paused in RAM can be cleared by clearing them from the recently used apps list. I assure you, if you believe that, you're wrong. And it's easily provable if you're watching the RAM usage in one of the several Cydia apps that let you see that it has "0" effect on RAM usage (paused or not).

There's a lot of great info given on these forums - but that particular belief (clearing the recent used apps window clears RAM) is an out and out myth and I still watch people clearing those apps and "believing" they are helping their phone - when they're not.

But I agree with you completely about the "paused in RAM" functionality of multitasking. And the only thing that clears that is, as you said, after a fixed period of time of unuse - and I believe a reboot will also clear it.

Good discussion!

I didn't really read all that but you said quote:

"It's not apps in RAM or temporary paused status or anything.".

pianoman said:

Good discussion!

Plus you clearly misunderstood what I said.

Know not all apps in the switcher are pauses in RAM.

Just the ones that were opened within a certain period of time. I know this.

Otherwise, every time you closed an app, and opened again, it would reload every time. But they don't.....they don't because they are pauses in RAM.

zig9449 said:
I didn't really read all that but you said quote:

"It's not apps in RAM or temporary paused status or anything.".

You really are a rude person.No respect for anybody elses view.It's plain rude to comment on a post without reading it fully,and then even admitting to not reading everything.

Semel said:
You really are a rude person.No respect for anybody elses view.It's plain rude to comment on a post without reading it fully,and then even admitting to not reading everything.

Yeah your right....I should have read it....and I just did. Sorry.

Good discussion!

I disagree with you saying when you close apps in the switcher it doesnt affect RAM well i have system status and when i close down all apps in the switcher it does free up a small amount of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.