What's new

Clear iPhone 5s

Outbound86

Reaction score
Old duffer here with new 5s --- daughters old phone. She got a 6 something and gave me her 5s so I then take it to Verizon to have my old flip phone updated into this century. I wanted them to clear the Iphone and put my phone numbers into it. The guy took both phones into a back room and came back and said everything was done and my numbers were in the phone. I went home to play with it and found that some of my daughters contacts were mixed with mine. Then I receive a call from my daughter (2000 miles away) that many of here phone number just disappeared --- what I'm I doing with the new phone?? (she is less than happy). I took the phone back to Verizon and they could not help me. The email app will not work --- can't send or receive. There are photos left from my daughters account, plus text messages, some phone contacts and more that needs to be cleared out. I want to clear the phone, but do not want to lose my phone numbers. I can clear hers out one at a time. But I would like to get emails, text and delete her pics to free up the phone. I think Verizon got into her cloud and when they hit the delete button they took number and more from her cloud. I'm glad she is 2000 miles away -- lol. Anyway, if someone wants a challenge or can help me out I would appreciate it. I have called the Apple store and ask for one of those smart guys --- they told me it's $29 to look at the phone and they can't promise me anything, besides, they are 70 miles away. I thought I would try this forum -- thanks for any help that you can give me.

It is possible the iPhone still identifies with your daughter's iTunes account. You need to set up your own and sync the phone to it. Maybe wait til she gets home so you don't lose more of her stuff before she can do a back-up.

It is possible the iPhone still identifies with your daughter's iTunes account. You need to set up your own and sync the phone to it. Maybe wait til she gets home so you don't lose more of her stuff before she can do a back-up.

Looking back with what little I know about these phones and this thing called the "cloud" ---- the guy at the V store asked me for her password for her cloud. I called her and got it --- gave it to him and he went to work. I think that was the screw-up --- I don't know for sure, but why does he need that to clear "my phone"? I have a iTunes account on my Mac --- if I plug into the Mac and try to download the music into the iphone I assume that will do it???

i don't know what the Verizon guy did. What I think he should have done was use her icloud activation info to remove her as the owner of the phone. Then you would need to set it up, using iTunes, as your own. The fact that you were able to affect what was removed from her current phone makes it sound as if he didn't do that. Do you need a password to use your iPhone?

No, I do not need a password. I think the Verizon guy entered her cloud password into my phone and then started deleting items ---- including her cloud. If I understand how the cloud works, it is not in the phone, but in the wireless network and if you have someones password you can access their cloud ----- Is that right? If so, I think that is what happened. If I do not use her password I should not be able to access her cloud to damage it. If I do the iTunes thing and create a cloud for me, then save my phone numbers into it, then delete everything in the phone, then download my phone numbers back into my phone from my cloud ---- maybe that would work??

You need to do some reading first. There is the cloud and then there is icloud. What IOS is the iphone on? You can find out by going into Settings>General>About. First note the name of the iphone. Then scroll down to Version. That is your IOS.
It sounds like you are on an older one and until we get more info, you should not do anything else. Your understanding of iCloud is not correct. While it is true it is not in your phone it is also not part of the wireless network. If the Verizon guy had removed her iCloud affiliation with your phone it should have asked you to activate yours, with itunes. As it didn't, I am guessing you have an older IOS and are still on her account.

Since a picture says 1000 words, here are the steps with screenshots for what bear7962 was telling you to do:

First tap on Settings:
91cf50ec4b3644ef7fdee780c1b43870.jpg

(your may not be in the same place as mine, but that's the icon you'll be looking for.)

Next tap on General:

6b28550f50e058890deacfa5b9f38e0a.jpg

The tap on About:

eaa1a4fa700ed3e73f46eb79098dc857.jpg

Then look here for the version of iOS you're using:

2bf9d2339a48ba96d67888a895b4fd53.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Thank you rasmith. Perhaps you and the others can walk our OP thru the rest. I am going to be unavailable for a good portion of the remaining weekend and would hate to leave him hanging. And I always have trouble with visuals and links, both of which I see coming up.

Sure thing, though I work at night so I'll be going to bed soon. But I'll be available all day Monday and Tuesday as that's my weekend...

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk