What's new

Changing Facebook Messenger incoming message sound

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the default FB Messenger sound for incoming messages (which has become quite loud some time during the last half year or so)? I searched for .m4a files within Messenger app's folder, but none of those I found sounded like the one I'm looking for. Could it be hardcoded in the app itself, thus non-changeable?

I was, on the other hand, able to switch the message sound for Skype app (into something more pleasant).

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've actually never heard the notification sound of the Facebook Messenger app before since I turn off all sounds and such, but I believe it's the .wav file in the /Messenger.app/ directory. Not sure if it differs from device to device, but it should be "3.wav", the little ping sound.

OP
TimeTraveler7

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one, thanks (I was only looking for m4a files). I changed it with another wav of the same format, we'll see if it works.

EDIT: Nope, no sound can be heard now. I used the same format and checked the permissions of the file to be OK. Strange.

Last edited:

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may have to edit the plist to call the new wav file. Make sure it's a .wav and named identically and all.

OP
TimeTraveler7

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
What would I have to change in the plist file? I mean, I used exactly the same name for the new file (3.wav), as well as used the same format (I think it was 16-bit mono).

Most reactions

Latest posts