What's new

Cellular Data Settings Issue

jmbielski

Reaction score
In my settings under Cellular Data, I can only see FaceTime and Wallet I can not turn cellular data on or off for any other individual apps on my phone. I am on the latest IOS version 11.3.1. I have contacted Apple several times, but they do not get back to me with any solution. They just ask for logs and it has been almost 2 months of the run around. When I wipe the phone and restore from my backup the problem reappears. The only solution to date is to wipe the phone and set up as new, but I don’t want to lose any data. I see posts about the issue dating back to iOS 7. My data plan is being eaten up in the background and I have no way of stopping it. Has anyone ever experienced and solved this issue without wiping their phone? Thanks.

P.S. I've tried checking restrictions, hard restarting and resetting statistics.

You could try turning off Background App Refresh under Settings General.

In my settings under Cellular Data, I can only see FaceTime and Wallet I can not turn cellular data on or off for any other individual apps on my phone. I am on the latest IOS version 11.3.1. I have contacted Apple several times, but they do not get back to me with any solution. They just ask for logs and it has been almost 2 months of the run around. When I wipe the phone and restore from my backup the problem reappears. The only solution to date is to wipe the phone and set up as new, but I don’t want to lose any data. I see posts about the issue dating back to iOS 7. My data plan is being eaten up in the background and I have no way of stopping it. Has anyone ever experienced and solved this issue without wiping their phone? Thanks.
When I check under Settings>Cellular and scroll down the page I see a list of every app on my iPhone and can turn off cellular data for each separate app. Since your iPhone does not have this problem if you set it up as new there could very well be something wrong with your current iOS installation. If your iOS installation has been corrupted somehow you may have no choice but to restore your iPhone and set it up as new to fix the problem. If you use iCloud, you should be able to save your contacts and message history. Apps, iBooks, and your iTunes content can be re-downloaded from your purchase history.

As the problem is in settings, could a rogue 3rd party app be the cause?

>> Since your iPhone does not have this problem if you set it up as new...

Unless I misread the op, I don’t think that this has been tried and hence might show if it is a phone, rather than software, problem. As long as the latest backup is left intact, a temporary fresh install, as new, may help understand or eliminate a possible cause.

You won't lose your data if you restore as new. Just make sure your notes are iCloud notes, and upload your photos somewhere safe. Like in Dropbox or on your computer.

Some apps, like File Browser, Readdle Documents, etc. can save files locally on the iPhone.