What's new

CDMA iPhones roaming on AT&T?

J

joe012594

Sounds impossible right? Maybe not. Here's how I know that. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S (Verizon model) and have been playing with it ever since the jailbreak for it was released. I decided one day to replace all the files in 310VZW folder in carrier bundles with the files in the ATT_US folder. What happens when you do that? Well interesting thing actually. The "Carrier" tab appears in the settings menu and both T-mobile and AT&T appear as a selection. When you check T-mobile the well known "E" or Edge appears at the top and AT&T has "3G" appear, of course. There is also the automatic selection if you want it to load a network automatically. Now here's the catch. Visual Voicemail no longer works as Visual Voicemail coding is inside the file "carrier.plist." Along with that, it is only temporary meaning that the connection to the network does not last and the "No Service" announcement appears in the top left corner leaving you without any service at all. I think, in all honesty, us CDMA customers got short handed when this phone was released as AT&T customers get 3G+ while us CDMA users only get what they call "3G" which is so slow for us. So I thought, "Hey maybe someone can come up with a better idea on how to get the CDMA iPhone's to roam on AT&T?" Well does anyone have a good idea on how to do that because obviously it's not impossible. It just needs work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then tell me how I loaded both AT&T and T-mobile on my phone? I know for a fact I did because 1. I got the "E" symbol on the status bar when T-Mobile was selected and 2. When AT&T was selected I got 5+mbps down which is impossible for Verizon as they max there down speed at 2.5mbps. Tell me how you factually know that it's impossible because I would love to hear it.

May I also direct your attention to this video:

I don't know about making the CDMA iPhone roam on a GSM network but why don't you use IntelliScreenX to turn off 3G and stay connected to 2G (1xrtt)).

I know that's not what you were talking about...but if you want to switch networks to save battery then keeping 3G off while staying connected to 2G will really help to save battery life.

The only thing that sucks is that there is absolutely no way for a CDMA iPhone to turn off 3G while staying connects to 2G without ISX. It is the ONLY tweak that allows a CDMA iPhone to switch between the 2 networks.

zig9449 that's actually really interesting to hear. I've been looking for a tweak that can do that. Not only am I trying to save batttery life, but I'm also trying to get the 4G speeds the phone is capable of having. Verizon and AT&T having roaming agreements between each other for their world phones so I don't see why it would be so hard to create some sort of tweak that would allow forceful methods of roaming on GSM based networks. I did, breifly. but I still did it. It just needs some developing from someone who is capable of doing that. That tweak would be one of the most saught after tweak on Cydia if it could be developed.

If it was possible, someone would have already done it by now. Even if it were possible, it would not be as easy as moving folders around and editing a plist file.

P.S. Sprint iPhones do not come unlocked, that is pure rubbish.

Well then I guess I'm the first one to discover it then huh? And true but also not true to the whole "moving folders" thing. I didn't say if fully worked. Go back and read what I said >.>

Well then I guess I'm the first one to discover it then huh? And true but also not true to the whole "moving folders" thing. I didn't say if fully worked. Go back and read what I said >.>

I read what you said, and what you said wouldn't do anything. First of all, the ATT_US is a bundle folder, it's not even the same folder structure as the 310VZW folder. All you were seeing was Verizon services using AT&T/T-Mobile icons.

Well you seem to know it for a fact so explain to me why the "E" symbol appears on T-Mobile and on AT&T I got way beyond Verizon capable speeds?

Well you seem to know it for a fact so explain to me why the "E" symbol appears on T-Mobile and on AT&T I got way beyond Verizon capable speeds?

I already explained it to you, you overwrote the Verizon icons with the AT&T icons. That would be like me changing the 3G icon to say "4G" and then claiming I have 4G speeds.

"...claiming I have 4G speeds." Oh so now I'm a liar? Just making it all up huh? lol Could you explain to me how in God's green earth Verizon would ever be capable of 5.87mbps download speed on 3G? And also you made it clear that the carrier bundles don't control what network the phone is connected to. Well then what are they for? Just curious.

"...claiming I have 4G speeds." Oh so now I'm a liar? Just making it all up huh? lol Could you explain to me how in God's green earth Verizon would ever be capable of 5.87mbps download speed on 3G? And also you made it clear that the carrier bundles don't control what network the phone is connected to. Well then what are they for? Just curious.

5.87 Mbps is not 4G. To register on the AT&T network, you have to have an AT&T sim. I think you can change the carrier name with a Cydia app. I changed mine to Straight Talk when I used that carrier.

On my One S, when I go into "Network Operators", it lists AT&T and T-Mobile, even though It's a T-Mobile locked phone with a T-Mobile sim. When I attempt to connect to the listed AT&T network, it fails.

If you're looking to get off Verizon, check out Straight Talk. They use AT&T's network, and they are well priced.

d8baf72e-9ea5-4aa4.jpg

Sent from my HTC One S

Last edited:
Jmills87 said:
You cannot use AT&T on a CDMA iPhone. The SIM slot on a CDMA iPhone4S is for international use only.

You can if the phone is jailbroke and using a sim interposer. People are unlocking sprint and Verizon all the time.

Jmills87 said:
If it was possible, someone would have already done it by now. Even if it were possible, it would not be as easy as moving folders around and editing a plist file.

P.S. Sprint iPhones do not come unlocked, that is pure rubbish.

The iPhones shipped from sprint within the first ten days were sold unlocked btw