What's new

CDMA EVDO Rev. request

J

joe012594

If you are a CDMA customer and you purchased an iPhone 4S and felt it was unfair for AT&T to have "4G" while we didn't well then I got some good news and bad news for you. Starting off with the good news, I did a little digging around and found that CDMA has a technology capable of producing the same amount of speeds HSPA+ produces. If you're not familiar with network talk please go do some research. HSPA+ is what make the AT&T iPhone 4S 4G. So what is equal to that on Verizon and Sprint? Good question and I'll answer that in a bit. First let's talk about what us CDMA users have been dealt to us. We use what they call EVDO Rev. A. It's the 3G network that powers our data. One simple update to the towers, and I do mean simple, can upgrade the towers to a new standard called EVDO Rev. B which is capable of speeds up to 14mbps down which is the same exact capabilities HSPA+ on AT&T produces. "But how do we get that?" you may ask. Well, unfortunately, this is where the bad news comes into play. The carriers have no plan of upgrading the towers unless there is enough demand for it. If you are willing to, pickup your phone right now and dial 611 then speak to a rep. regarding upgrading the towers to Rev. B. They most likely will know what you are talking about. All around the world in "CDMA land" they use Rev. B. We're the only country that didn't upgrade. Stupid huh?

Interesting.........................................

Actually this is really really OLD news.

This rumor was first spread in 2008 if memory serves. The original specification was ratified in early 2006. It was supposed to be implemented in late 2007 thru early 2008. The reason it wasn't is because it requires a new radio chip in all CDMA phones to work with it since it is a Dual/Tri frequency specification. No one wanted to foot the bill.

Furthermore EV-DO Rev B isn't as fast as HSPA+. Only the tri frequency specification can get near HSPA+ speeds and that is being really generous on my part. IE it tops out at about 9 mbits compared to the 14 mbits of HSPA+

The iPhone 4S CAN'T do Revision B. Simple as that. It doesn't matter if they flashed the firmware in every tower channel card tonight. There is not ONE SINGLE iPhone capable of talking to that specification because there isn't a single iPhone made that can talk on the dual or tri carrier frequency required.

Actually Skull One you're wrong. The iPhone 4 (CDMA model) and the iPhone 4S do have the chip required to utilize Rev. B. If you go to Qualcomm's website or wikipedia (Qualcomm being the manufactuer of the network chips for the iPhone) you'll see that the model number of the chip is capable of of doing so. I shall provide a link below.

Qualcomm Gobi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Find MDM6600. That's what's used in the iPhone 4S.

You are making ONE WHALE of an assumption that you know the EXACT chip specification that went into the iPhone 4 and 4S. Just because a chip maker can make it, doesn't mean they did for a particular handset.

But lets make this easy. The iPhone has to be registered with the FCC. Did they get approval for EV-DO Rev B for either iPhone?

Nope.

Care to guess why that is? Because it doesn't have it. If it did, they not only would have to tell the FCC about it, they would have had to make some serious changes to the iPhone 4 to support it, because of certain antenna design issues that you didn't take into account.

Skull One have you ever heard of iFixit? They teardown idevices and take a look at every part in the device. Why don't you go look for yourself and see the pics of the iphone opened up with "MDM6600" written in large silver lettering and tell me that the chip you're looking at doesn't support Rev. B. And please, for the love of God, read step 17. That is all.

iPhone 4 Verizon Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

Yes, I have. But you failed to read, process and comprehend what I typed. So I will try to be more clear this time around so that there is no more misunderstanding.

The United States of America federal government requires, by law, that anyone that produces a product that operates in a specific manner file the appropriate paper work with appropriate agency run by said government.

That means for the iPhone to be used legally in the US of A, it must have on file with the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) the required licenses to operate in the desired frequency ranges and in the specific manner in which it will operate in those frequency.

The iPhone does not have the required license to operate the iPhone in the EV-DO Rev B specification. Because they have not FILED for it.

Now, to further clarify, the chip number doesn't mean anything if the part of the circuit in question is NON-OPERATIONAL because it was either:

A) Never made. IE never created during the wafer building process.
or
B) Had the link to that part of the package removed so it can't be used.

Either condition means the same thing. It isn't there for use.

And to help you out with your learning experience - https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=925504&fcc_id='BCG-E2422A'

That is ALL of the FCC license information for the iPhone 4 CDMA. I trust you can find the iPhone 4S on your own now since I have shown you where the information is stored. It is very dry reading. Especially the SARs and RF reports.

I know what you're saying but I really don't think it's accurate to say it is totally out of the realm of possiblities that it could happen.

joe012594 said:
I know what you're saying but I really don't think it's accurate to say it is totally out of the realm of possiblities that it could happen.

It is beyond the realm. Sadly I don't have time to teach you about radio antennas, multiple frequency multiplexing and the effects of electromagnetic radiation on IC chips. But there is a ton of articles on the subject that you may want to read when you are really bored.