What's new

Need expert help regarding throttling and network standards

J

joe012594

I have called several times to Verizon in the past months because my iPhone has been getting such slow data speeds according to several speed test apps from the app store that I purchased. They all are very similar in their results so I know I am getting very slow speeds both in the results I get and my experience in the web browser, safari. I was told 2 days ago by a tech rep that a "data 'optimization' feature" was put in effect on my iPhone and was the cause of my slow data speeds. She continued to do research on my account and told me that the throttling shouldn't even be on my account because I have never gone over 2gb of data usage. She said the highest I have ever used was 1.8gb and that was at the beginning of the year when I first got the phone. I have confirmed this through my Verizon account's data usage table. She gave me a number to a special department called AIS that handles the throttling feature to have it removed as I did not qualify or meet the criteria for "optimization." I called today and they said they couldn't remove it because they don't have the authority to. They then transferred me back to tech support and was back to square one. I just spoke to a tech agent named Joseph and he told me in detail why I was being throttled but I will summarize what I was told. He said I indeed have a "network optimization" in place on my account but it wasn't active. He said it's there because my iPhone is pulling far above normal or average speeds than normal users get. He then told me I was connected to their EV-DO Rev. B network and made it sound like I shouldn't be. When he said Rev. B I was shocked. From EVERYTHING I have been told by workers of Verizon and research on the internet Rev. B is a dead project by QualComm. CDMA carriers were planning on upgrading to it but decided not to once LTE was announced by QualComm as well and they decided to jump on that band wagon and pursue 4G rather than 3.5G, which Rev. B is considered. Rev. B has average 4mbp/s down and 1.3mbp/s up with max peak rates of 14.7mbp/s down and 1.7mbp/s up which we all know Verizon, or any CDMA carrier in the U.S. for that matter, has and never will be capable of. So the question(s) is/are this: 1. Are they allowed to throttle me based on bandwidth? 2. Does Verizon really have Rev. B or was the rep I talked to full of sh*t?

Links to prove that Verizon does not have Rev. B:
Verizon Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (read under the "Network" article)
TiPb Answers: Verizon iPhone and the limitations of CDMA | iMore.com

I don't claim to be an expert, however I have some experience with carriers.

1. Yes
2. I'm not sure if Rev. B is exactly a dead end technology. It isn't very fast, but it's still decent enough for YouTube and music streaming. I don't see why you wouldn't be connected to Rev. B on your 4S, that's the network type it supports.

Try not to bypass the language filter, that is quite unnecessary.

I don't claim to be an expert, however I have some experience with carriers.

1. Yes
2. I'm not sure if Rev. B is exactly a dead end technology. It isn't very fast, but it's still decent enough for YouTube and music streaming. I don't see why you wouldn't be connected to Rev. B on your 4S, that's the network type it supports.

I didn't say it was a dead end. Just that it's a dead technology in the eyes of the US carriers because they decided to go with LTE rather than Rev. B. I really don't think Verizon does have Rev. B after much research online and asking a few reps, all of whom have remained consistent to the answer no. So I don't think they do even though one misinformed guy claimed that. If, unless, I saw evidence to prove this otherwise I say no they don't have Rev. B, period. Also the chip used inside the iPhone 4 (CDMA) and the iPhone 4S both support Rev. A and B, however, if you look on Apple's website in the tech specs for both phones, no where does it say Rev. B. Only Rev. A so I think it is safe to say no CDMA carrier in the US has that network. Only Rev. A.

Try not to bypass the language filter, that is quite unnecessary.

Sorry. I forgot that was in there. I had copied and pasted form another place I had posted this.

Last edited by a moderator: