What's new

can't 'text' photos

Cozzie

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first look around the forum & I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of info around & the obvious expertise of the membership, so I'm sure this question will seem lame to many of you, but here goes:

I've only had my phone for a week or so & to date its doing just about everything I need (and more). The only problem I'm having at the moment is texting photos. The phone seems to be happy to send, but nobody ever receives them. Texts without photos are all received. I'm not sure if the file size is too large for the MMS network or the restrictions are on the other phones ot what? I can email photos alright, but not mms. I notice that when emailing, I'm asked if I'd like to resize, but not when MMSing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Cozzie.

I should automatically resize the picture for you so it's under the maximum filesize. I believe it's 300kb or 100kb depending on the network or phone.

Try resetting your network settings to see if that works. You will loose any wifi passwords you have saved when doing this. If that doesn't work I would contact your carrier...

Hi all,

The only problem I'm having at the moment is texting photos. The phone seems to be happy to send, but nobody ever receives them.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cozzie, I feel your pain!! I almost got on this forum to ask the same questions: what's the difference between MMS and SMS, and is there a file size limitation, and does SMS, MMS use cellular data broadband (or does it use "voice phone" pathway). Maybe some day I will ask all this, but I'm afraid of the confusing answers I'll get!!

Note: I tried to send a 12 second video to a phone number today via MMS and it failed to go. But I have my "3G" and "cellular data" on my iPhone 4 turned off, and just use wi-fi and voice phone service. Maybe that was it!

MMS is multimedia messaging. Pictures, sound clips, videos etc. SMS it just your standard texting.

As I already said there is a size limit. I think it's around 300kb, which is not alot these days. Maby it's been made higher since I last used it. MMS will require you to use your networks data, 3G etc.) Mostly so they can charge you for it...

MMS is multimedia messaging. Pictures, sound clips, videos etc. SMS it just your standard texting.

MMS will require you to use your networks data, 3G etc.) Mostly so they can charge you for it...

Sorry, but a dumb follow-up: as you wrote, MMS requires network data. That means wi-fi is NOT used even if available for MMS or SMS, right?
Thanks again!

From my understanding SMS and MMS are done through your network provider using your phone number...

Thanks all, I actually tried what Gaz6076 suggested & reset the network settings. This worked a treat. Everyone gets my photo messages now. Thanks again for that Gaz6076. This site is brilliant. I should have come here at the start. Can't wait to spend some timepoking around the site.

Hello my friends, how is every1?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack thread, since this had been solved. But my question is does receiver needs to have network date too to receiving the photos in text, or receiver can just using wifi, or they will get charge since they dont have network data on their jailbreak iphone(Tmobile)?? Thanks and have a good day every1?:)

As I already said there is a size limit. I think it's around 300kb, which is not alot these days. Maby it's been made higher since I last used it. MMS will require you to use your networks data, 3G etc.) Mostly so they can charge you for it...

Last edited:
As it's done through your mobile number then I think the receiver will need to have a data signal also. I could be wrong about that though...

The receiving phone should be capable of an Internet connection. It should connect automatically to receive an MMS message and you would not be charged for the connection. Only the sender is charged.
With your iPhone you must have data connection turned on to send AND receive MMS messages.