What's new

Can't jailbreak my iphone 3gs

MissStar

Reaction score
hi everyone

I really need some help. I've been trying to jailbreak my iphone 3gs since I unfortanelly updated to ios 5.0.1 (9a405). I have jailbreaked my iphone before and are very familiar with the redsnow jailbreak method. So after a numerous of tries to jailbreak my phone i have finally given up :-(.

I have downloaded the ios 5.0 (9a334) and redsnow 0.9.9b8 and I know that I need to point to the 5.0 ios and everything works fine up until the rebooting. Then redsnow stops working and the only thing I can do after that is re-install ios.

Does anybody have another solution? I have tried snowbreeze but couln't get it to work either

Welcome to iPF.com MissStar!!

After the Jailbreak process is complete you'll come back up to the Apple Logo... you'll need to connect to your computer and run "Just Boot' under redsn0w's "Extras" option.

Thanks Thomas :)

I have tried to "just boot" but then it says something about not regonizing something i can't remember what is. But I have just read something about trying to run redsnow in compatible mode as administrator so think I will try that.

MissStar said:
Thanks Thomas :)

I have tried to "just boot" but then it says something about not regonizing something i can't remember what is. But I have just read something about trying to run redsnow in compatible mode as administrator so think I will try that.

When you jailbreak 5.0.1 you MUST point redsn0w to the 5.0 firmware when you "Just Boot". So download the 5.0 IPSW file to your desktop, start redsn0w, go to "Extras > Select IPSW", select the 5.0 firmware you downloaded, THEN do "Just Boot". You need to do this every time you reboot with redsn0w unfortunately.

Alternatively, you could download ac1dsn0w beta 2 (now legal!) and use the Just Boot option from that, which does not require you to use the 5.0 firmware. See here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...jailbreak-ios5-tethered-using-ac1dsn0w-27724/

When you jailbreak 5.0.1 you MUST point redsn0w to the 5.0 firmware when you "Just Boot". So download the 5.0 IPSW file to your desktop, start redsn0w, go to "Extras > Select IPSW", select the 5.0 firmware you downloaded, THEN do "Just Boot". You need to do this every time you reboot with redsn0w unfortunately.
Yes... this is something I kept forgetting to do when first running the redsn0w "Just Boot". It unfortunately does not remember to use the 5.0 ipsw as opposed to the 5.0.1. You have to point it at 5.0 EVERY time.

Hi guys

THANK You very much for the help!!

After realising that I had downloaded a bad redsnow jailbreak, I found another one and did as you told me....BEFORE "just boot" point to the ipsw and then boot....it worked like a charm so again THANK YOU!!

MissStar said:
Hi guys

THANK You very much for the help!!

After realising that I had downloaded a bad redsnow jailbreak, I found another one and did as you told me....BEFORE "just boot" point to the ipsw and then boot....it worked like a charm so again THANK YOU!!

Glad you got it working!

You should only ever source redsn0w from the dev-team blog and never anywhere else. That's why we provide a link there in all our tutorials and guides.
Otherwise you risk getting an old, broken, or malware infected version!