What's new

Cannot get passed lockscreen

69Rixter

Reaction score
I have an IPhone 8+ that I cannot "open". Have tried iMyFone lock wiper, 4ukey ( a few others) and gone through just about all the forums related to Iphone 8+. ITunes won't recognize it because it's locked. Cannot charge it via computer. It's been this way for about 4(+) months now. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER leave your phone where a vindictive ex-c*#^ can get hold of it. Anyways, it's useless unless there is a way I can get it to "open/bypass the home screen? I think I've attempted about 20 (really) "methods" I found on various videos, forums or websites. None has done it. Is there anything I can do to get past the home screen so I can, once again, reset and use this phone? Or is it relegated to being one expensive IClock?

THANX;
:confused:Rick

Erasing the iPhone in DFU mode is the only way to delete that password and regain access to your iPhone.
When you put the iPhone in DFU mode after connecting to iTunes, iTunes will recognize an iphone in recovery mode and offer you the option to restore your iPhone. This will, however, erase your iPhone unless you have a backup made before the password was changed to set up the iPhone. BTW, DFU mode cannot bypass Activation Lock. DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki

Last edited:
Erasing the iPhone in DFU mode is the only way to delete that password and regain access to your iPhone.
When you put the iPhone in DFU mode after connecting to iTunes, iTunes will recognize an iphone in recovery mode and offer you the option to restore your iPhone. This will, however, erase your iPhone unless you have a backup made before the password was changed to set up the iPhone. BTW, DFU mode cannot bypass Activation Lock. DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki

RE: scifan57

Thank You for replying. Yes, I've tried(x's) to get the phone into DFU mode. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but cannot get the phone to go into DFU. It would seem that "BTW, DFU mode cannot bypass Activation Lock" must be the fly-in-the-ointment. So, I now have a very expensive, hand-held clock! Even Apple won't help for the "clock" is long out of warranty. Have to keep searching around and see if(hope) someone has a 'hack".

:oops:Rick

If you can't get the iPhone into DFU mode there could be hardware problems preventing it. If the iPhone is also activation locked, that means that the Apple ID and/or password have been changed. Is the iPhone asking for a password associated with an Apple ID you don't recognize?

OK, after many attempts and too many "ways" to enter DFU mode....I believe I've accomplished that. Now, let's see if this is possible. Once in DFU mode, would ITunes then "recognize" the phone? If so, could I then reinstall the ios or even update to 13? Also, been wondering/searching about this; is ITunes the ONLY "installer" for ios? (from a PC)

Last edited:
Once in DFU mode iTunes will recognize an iPhone in recovery mode. You would then restore the iPhone which would install the latest public release version of iOS. Once the restoration is complete, you can set up the iPhone from a previous backup or as a new iPhone. You can then update to iOS 13 beta if you choose.
In this case, the restoration has to be done through iTunes on your computer.

RE: scifan57

Thanx for the info! Hopefully, this'll do the trick.

scifan57:

Alas, nothing I've done, so far has accomplished having a usable phone. She pretty much has hosed the phone to the point I'm not able to use it. Unless, someone has some better thoughts/ideas than I. Kryst....a $600 doorstop!!! BTW, I could always get into 'recovery" mode, but don't think I ever got DFU mode?

Here’s the complete procedure in a video:

Is your iPhone activation locked (locked by the iCloud ID), or locked because of a wrong passcode? DFU mode helps if the iPhone is disabled because the wrong passcode has been entered too often. In that case, recovery mode would help as well.

If your device is locked by iCloud, there’s nothing you can do, except for visiting the next Apple Store, and take the receipt with you to prove that you’re the owner. In that case, they’ll unlock your device.

Re: J.A.

Hey..Thanx for the response. Yes, the phone has activation lock and I'm at wits end. I don't believe DFU mode and "restoring" the iOS will help. Just have to wait till someone makes a hack or go to Apple store and pay them a ton of money...not that they didn't already get a ton of money when I bought it. Possibly (???), when/if there's a jailbreak for 12.3.2 I could install Cydia. That app seems to have amazing powers over a 'jailbroken" iOS...or is that just another scam from the net?

As has already been said, there's no way to get past Activation Lock without the Apple ID and password. There will be no hack that will work and it is impossible to jailbreak an Activation Locked iPhone.

From your posts, I see that you’re searching for solutions online as well. In that case, I’ll have to warn you about “services” promising to unlock an activation locked iPhone. There are lots of these available, but they actually won’t help. As I’ve said before: it’s not possible to remove iCloud’s Activation Lock without damaging the iPhone, unless you know the password of the iCloud ID. There’s no other option. In order to get it unlocked again, you have to visit an Apple Store.

Should you decide to jailbreak your device after getting it unlocked:
There are also lots of jailbreak scams. Here’s an incomplete list, just to show you what I’m talking about:
Scam Jailbreaks and Unlocks - The iPhone Wiki

Additionally, Cydia is still available, but it has closed purchases for it’s store. You’d have to look for alternatives.