What's new

bypass touchID through passcode?

fiat

Reaction score
Hi, I got my new 5s! It works pretty well so far. But I do find something puzzling about passcode/touchID. I setup my fingerprint ID fine and I can use touchID to unlock my 5s. I follow the process like this: after 5s is put to sleep, I press the home button and the lock screen come up, I then press my finger on the HB again, it identify my ID and enter home screen. Now I just find this: on lock screen if I swipe the unlock arrow instead of pressing my finger on HB, it open number pad for me to enter my passcode and if I do key in my PC it also unlock and enter my home screen! This is like people can bypass my touchID and try to hack my iphone with my passcode. So there is no difference if my 5s has no touchID? Is touchID only a convenience for the user (owner)? Or am I missing something here that I can setup so that there is no way to bypass touchID by going passcode route? Thanks for clarifying.

Hi, I got my new 5s! It works pretty well so far. But I do find something puzzling about passcode/touchID. I setup my fingerprint ID fine and I can use touchID to unlock my 5s. I follow the process like this: after 5s is put to sleep, I press the home button and the lock screen come up, I then press my finger on the HB again, it identify my ID and enter home screen. Now I just find this: on lock screen if I swipe the unlock arrow instead of pressing my finger on HB, it open number pad for me to enter my passcode and if I do key in my PC it also unlock and enter my home screen! This is like people can bypass my touchID and try to hack my iphone with my passcode. So there is no difference if my 5s has no touchID? Is touchID only a convenience for the user (owner)? Or am I missing something here that I can setup so that there is no way to bypass touchID by going passcode route? Thanks for clarifying.
The option to use the passcode instead of the touchID is built into the system. There is no way to permanently bypass the ability to use the passcode. After all, what would you do if the touchID stopped functioning? It is also set up to require a passcode if the touchID has not been used for 48 hours. Here is what Apple has to say about it, including the situations where use of the passcode is mandatory. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5883

Don't use a four digit passcode. Try and use a character one or use at least 8 numbers. You are not presented with slots for the passcode so nobody can tell exactly how long the passcode is.

Thanks, Tudor. It's a good idea for security.