What's new

Can You Swap Parts to Revert iOS?

Reaction score
I got a new 4S 64gb from Apple for only $200 after breaking my screen. Only problem is iOS 7 is the lamest thing I have ever used.

So I was wondering if I can source another iPhone or iPod with iOS 6.x.x on it, would it be possible to swap out whatever physical parts necessary to get iOS 6 back onto my new device?

I got a new 4S 64gb from Apple for only $200 after breaking my screen. Only problem is iOS 7 is the lamest thing I have ever used.

So I was wondering if I can source another iPhone or iPod with iOS 6.x.x on it, would it be possible to swap out whatever physical parts necessary to get iOS 6 back onto my new device?
I'm afraid that's not possible in any practical way. You would, in effect, be putting the innards of an old iPhone in a new case. It would be more practical just to buy a used iPhone with iOS 6 on it and use it as is.

BTW, have you considered upgrading your iPhone to iOS 8.1.3?

Last edited:
I have thought about upgrading to iOS 8.1.3 but as it is now performance on iOS 7.1.2 is terrible. It is very slow, sluggish and twitchy. Can I really expect iOS 8 to be any better? Correct me if I am wrong, but newer iOS versions are intended for the newer devices; older devices with newer iOS don't work good, right?

I have thought about upgrading to iOS 8.1.3 but as it is now performance on iOS 7.1.2 is terrible. It is very slow, sluggish and twitchy. Can I really expect iOS 8 to be any better? Correct me if I am wrong, but newer iOS versions are intended for the newer devices; older devices with newer iOS don't work good, right?
iOS versions are tailored to maximize the operating system capabilities for each device. The version of iOS 8.1.3 that's intended for an iPhone 4S is not the same as that for an iPhone 5 for example. While some users have experienced problems in upgrading a 4S to iOS 8, most have none or very few problems. Operations tale a little longer than on a newer device but that's the result of an older and slower CPU.

I see...and thats exactly why I wish mine still had iOS 6. But even then apps update and if you update them, then again performance is junk. Some apps will no longer open on older iOS versions, such as Chase bank, it literally would not open unless I first updated the app, which in turn required a later iOS. Sad that it works like that, great products get ruined, in my opinion. I'm all for security updates but as a graphics designer flat operating systems are just pathetic, in my opinion. Is it really that hard to just maintain the older iOS versions? I would look for another phone at this point but hardware-wise whats better than iPhone? Where else do you get CNC machined stainless steel and such a nice display?