What's new

Can you bypass an activation screen without a SIM card?

JcatG

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an iPhone 4S and currently has no SIM card. I don't really need a SIM card, as I just need the phone to take pictures and hear some music.

I have seen some videos on Youtube that say you can bypass the activation screen doing some sort of dialing, but it didn't work at all.

1. Is it possible to somehow bypass that activation screen without a SIM card?

2. After the activation screen, when you're on the menu and you have your apps, will I need to have a SIM card in?

Thank you.

(I'm not sure if I should be posting this here. If it shouldn't, please move it).

Hello,

I have an iPhone 4S and currently has no SIM card. I don't really need a SIM card, as I just need the phone to take pictures and hear some music.

I have seen some videos on Youtube that say you can bypass the activation screen doing some sort of dialing, but it didn't work at all.

1. Is it possible to somehow bypass that activation screen without a SIM card?

2. After the activation screen, when you're on the menu and you have your apps, will I need to have a SIM card in?

Thank you.

(I'm not sure if I should be posting this here. If it shouldn't, please move it).
I'm afraid that you have to have a SIM card in the phone in order to activate the iPhone for use as an iPod. The SIM card doesn't have to be from an active account, it just has to be in the phone. After activation, you can remove the SIM card. If you ever have to restore the phone, you'll need to re-insert a SIM card in the holder.

If the iPhone is locked to a particular carrier, the SIM card has to be from that carrier. If you have a currently activated phone that uses the same size SIM card you can use that one.

Here's the Apple support page. Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan - Apple Support

I'm afraid that you have to have a SIM card in the phone in order to activate the iPhone for use as an iPod. The SIM card doesn't have to be from an active account, it just has to be in the phone. After activation, you can remove the SIM card. If you ever have to restore the phone, you'll need to re-insert a SIM card in the holder.

If the iPhone is locked to a particular carrier, the SIM card has to be from that carrier. If you have a currently activated phone that uses the same size SIM card you can use that one.

Here's the Apple support page. Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan - Apple Support

Thanks. I guess that sums it up. By the way, are iPhone 4S and 5S's SIM cards the same size? Can you activate two iPhones using the same SIM card?

Thanks. I guess that sums it up. By the way, are iPhone 4S and 5S's SIM cards the same size? Can you activate two iPhones using the same SIM card?
I'm afraid not. The iPhone 4/4S use the Micro SIM card and all newer iPhones use the Nano SIM card. They're not interchangeable. The two iPhones would have to use the same size SIM card.

I'm afraid not. The iPhone 4/4S use the Micro SIM card and all newer iPhones use the Nano SIM card. They're not interchangeable. The two iPhones would have to use the same size SIM card.

Thanks again. One more question: I've seen people cutting default sized SIM cards so they fit in the iPhone 4S's slot. Can I do that as well?

Thanks again. One more question: I've seen people cutting default sized SIM cards so they fit in the iPhone 4S's slot. Can I do that as well?
It can be done, but you have to take a lot of care or you can ruin the SIM card. Have you considered going to a local cell phone carrier store to explain what you want and see if they'll sell you an inactive SIM card.

You can get a template on the net.

It can be done, but you have to take a lot of care or you can ruin the SIM card. Have you considered going to a local cell phone carrier store to explain what you want and see if they'll sell you an inactive SIM card.

I don't think they would let me, things are pretty strict here. I will consider the first, cutting the SIM card, given that I could use it for calling and texting. What do you think?

I don't think they would let me, things are pretty strict here. I will consider the first, cutting the SIM card, given that I could use it for calling and texting. What do you think?
You can get a template on the net.
Yeah, thanks, I have just downloaded one. It's pretty scary, though, I wouldn't like to mess everything up.
If you follow the template exactly, the SIM card will work properly. You can also buy SIM card cutters where you insert the card and squeeze the handles together like a paper punch, leaving you with a perfectly trimmed SIM card. The cost may not be worth it to you, though, especially if you'll only use it the one time.

If you follow the template exactly, the SIM card will work properly. You can also buy SIM card cutters where you insert the card and squeeze the handles together like a paper punch, leaving you with a perfectly trimmed SIM card. The cost may not be worth it to you, though, especially if you'll only use it the one time.

Well, basic pay-as-you-go SIM cards are about 7 USD. If I don't use it, do you think I can save it for further needs?

Well, basic pay-as-you-go SIM cards are about 7 USD. If I don't use it, do you think I can save it for further needs?
If it works to activate your iPhone, it can certainly be used in the future to activate it again if necessary.

If it works to activate your iPhone, it can certainly be used in the future to activate it again if necessary.

Thanks for everything.

Another thing that bugs me: can you still create a new Apple account without providing a credit card? I remember I did it once (about two years ago) doing taking some kind of shortcut, and it worked. I ask you because I tried to do it on an iPad about three months ago and it didn't work.

Thanks for everything.

Another thing that bugs me: can you still create a new Apple account without providing a credit card? I remember I did it once (about two years ago) doing taking some kind of shortcut, and it worked. I ask you because I tried to do it on an iPad about three months ago and it didn't work.

And something else: when on the activation screen I select a country different from the SIM card carrier's one, will it still work? For example, I insert a SIM card from Colombia, and I set United States as the country from the activation screen, will it work?

Sorry for asking too much; I'm new to this.