What's new

Can unlocked iphone 5 become locked by sim card?

BJW

Reaction score
Can anyone just tell me, does putting a sim in your factory unlocked iphone 5 make it locked to that carrier, or should it still be safe to use with other carriers without having to unlock it again? Thanks very much.​

Last edited:
Reworded my original post, please if anyone knows if putting a sim card in your factory unlocked iphone 5 locks it to that carrier, it would he very helpful to know. I'm trying to find out if my friend accidently locked her iphone to FIDO when she tested it with her old sim card before moving back home overseas, now she can't use it with her carrier back home.

Last edited:
Since the iPhone 5 is new, no one may know that answer. Please give it about 48 hours, since a great deal of people are on a time rotation (due to being either asleep or at work) for being on here. There is a crowd the should be on in about 8 hours that might know the answer.

If you have a true Factory Unlocked iPhone 5... no matter what wireless provider's SIM card is installed, it will remain unlocked.

Hi, thank you for your reply. So if the unlocked iphone 5 I bought was not a true "factory unlocked" one direct from Apple, then it could become locked to the fido sim we put in it to test it? And then we would have to pay to have it unlocked again if we want to use it with another carrier overseas?

BJW said:
Hi, thank you for your reply. So if the unlocked iphone 5 I bought was not a true "factory unlocked" one direct from Apple, then it could become locked to the fido sim we put in it to test it? And then we would have to pay to have it unlocked again if we want to use it with another carrier overseas?

Not necessarily. "Factory Unlocked" iDevices are the only true 100% unlocked phones. When you have someone other than your wireless provider (or it comes from Apple unlocked) there's never a "guarantee" that it will stay unlocked.

With that said, I've never heard of anyone's "aftermarket" unlocked iPhone re-locking just from inserting a different SIM. I've only seen re-locks take place w/ auto pushes from wireless providers or iTunes updates.

Hi thanks for the info. It is possible my friend connected to itunes with the fido sim in it. If the seller lied and phone is not "factory unlocked" as advertised, is there anything I need to know for the future, since she will have to pay to get it unlocked now to use with new provider, can she never use itunes again or risk getting it locked, or will it be good to go with new provider and no worries after having it unlocked and then connected to new provider?