What's new

Can I upgrade my iOS if I already used a tethered jailbreak?

chipsamoy

Reaction score
When the first Limera1n jailbreak came out after iOS 4.1 was released, I used it to jailbreak my iPhone 4. So currently I am running on iOS 4.1 with a Limera1n jailbreak in place.

A couple questions:

--How do I know if this was a tethered jailbreak or not?
--If it is or isn't tethered, how does that affect if I want to upgrade to a new iOS?
--Is there any way I can update my iOS from 4.1 to the newer ones and still keep my jailbreak?
--If I am able to upgrade my iOS but I lose my jailbreak, if I re-jailbreak my phone will I have to start over with everything I've downloaded with Cydia?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
hello and welcome to the forum!

Jailbreaking will be lost no matter what you do when you upgrade or restore to a newer firmware (4.3.2) how ever..

There is a un tethered jailbreak for 4.3.2 and there is also an app you can use to backup cydia apps, i advise either pkbackup(not free) or aptbackup (free)

then upgrade in itunes, jailbreak using redsn0w

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...os-4-3-2-redsn0w-0-9-6rc14-unteathered-10823/

then re download the backup app you downloaded and restore and all your cydia apps will be re installed.

Thanks! I'm glad to be a part of the forum and get some help as well as help others as often as I can.

So if I wanted to upgrade my iOS, would I have to do a restore or can I just upgrade the way iTunes tells me to?

Do you think it is worth upgrading from iOS 4.1 to 4.3.2? I haven't heard any new "need to have" features that the newer operating systems have; but I just wanted to know about the iOS upgrading thing for future reference.

Thanks! I'm glad to be a part of the forum and get some help as well as help others as often as I can.

So if I wanted to upgrade my iOS, would I have to do a restore or can I just upgrade the way iTunes tells me to?

Do you think it is worth upgrading from iOS 4.1 to 4.3.2? I haven't heard any new "need to have" features that the newer operating systems have; but I just wanted to know about the iOS upgrading thing for future reference.

no worries!

well 4.1 doe snot have free find my iphone and 4.3.2 has mainly bug fixes from 4.3.1 but there are some new updates worthy of an update..

also yes you just update in itunes unless you are happy on 4.1 then just cancel it and put it not to remind you

Don't forget to backup your settings and others on itune as well, that way you will be able to restore and avoid a huge headach after upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk