What's new

can i JB 3g with f/w higher than 4.2.1 ?

cadman33619

Reaction score
Hi all,

i have a JB 3g with 4.2.1. i have not tried to JB since. i see that newer version of iphone firmware are out but i don't see any for the 3g. is 4.2.1 the latest for 3G?

thank

cadman

4.2.1 is last upgrade for 3G. Downgrade to 3.1.3. Better for 3G. JB with Spitit. Google it more info. Good luck. You will be much happier.

the question was can he jailbreak his 3g and get a higher firmware then the 4.2.1. and the answer is no. 4.2.1 was the highest and last update for the 3g. the 3gs is lucky to get updates until ios5 but i think once the iphone 5 comes out, they will do away with the 3gs upgrade.

kingnba6 said:
the question was can he jailbreak his 3g and get a higher firmware then the 4.2.1. and the answer is no. 4.2.1 was the highest and last update for the 3g. the 3gs is lucky to get updates until ios5 but i think once the iphone 5 comes out, they will do away with the 3gs upgrade.

No they mentioned at the WWDC that the 3GS is gonna keep receiving support after iOS 5 comes out :D!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

kingnba6 said:

No they mentioned at the WWDC that the 3GS is gonna keep receiving support after iOS 5 comes out :D!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

i believe they said the same thing about the 3g and ios4 and they did do that but only up to 4.2.1 and thats the end of the line of the 3g. so i thinking they will do the same for the 3gs. i know many people who were satisfied with the 2g but they upgraded because the 2g only got upgrades to i think 3.1.3 or something. i know people who have the 3g now and still havent put ios4 because they are happy with the phone. so what i am saying is that apple will always want people to upgrade to their newest product.

yes i was surprised at that i thought they would of cut out the 3gs, but he asked about the 3G that iphones last firmware was 4.2.1, maybe the 3GS will get cut off mid 5.XX's like the 3G

yes i was surprised at that i thought they would of cut out the 3gs, but he asked about the 3G that iphones last firmware was 4.2.1, maybe the 3GS will get cut off mid 5.XX's like the 3G

yup thats my point. if you look at their iphone product line; compare all the phones. from the 1g 4gb to the 2g 8gb, no difference expect for the memory, i believe, the 3g wasnt that great of an improvement, the 3gs was an improvement in speed. the iphone 4 had the most drastic changes, from screen, memory, shape and size. the iphone 5 i feel is going to be like the 3gs update from the 3g. slight improvements.

yup thats my point. if you look at their iphone product line; compare all the phones. from the 1g 4gb to the 2g 8gb, no difference expect for the memory, i believe, the 3g wasnt that great of an improvement, the 3gs was an improvement in speed. the iphone 4 had the most drastic changes, from screen, memory, shape and size. the iphone 5 i feel is going to be like the 3gs update from the 3g. slight improvements.

well apart from memory i remember the first line of iphones you could not even send mms or change background picture or do such simple things that today 4.XX has a lot of these features that users have asked apple for over the years, ones that we had to jailbreak in order to get, even recording videos was not enabled in the first iphone and you had to get this jailbreak app that steve wozniak talked about in an interview that he loved it, I remember the 2g iphone it was pretty much useless with out jailbreak and background pics was not even enabled until 4.XX!

Apple are late adding functions such as "Facetime" how long have phones had that? but they do a good job when they do add it and the increase of Mp's in the cameras was nice because even the iphone 3g's 2mp camera was better then some phones 5mp camera, and of course the design, i hated the fact the 3g and 3gs had the same design, even though the 3gs was much faster i did not buy it because it would of felt like i am buying the same phone twice. Also apple always seem to have problems releasing a white iphone, ever since the iphone 3g i remember there was never a white until the following summer a year after release, i will wait and see what the iphone 5 brings and if there are huge changes that functions wont work properly on the iphone 4 or just that much better on the 5 i might sell my iphone 4 to get the 5 but i doubt there will be much of a change like you said the same as the 3g to the 3gs (minor improvements) and i hope i am wrong lol.