What's new

Can I jailbreak & unlock my 4S then undo the jailbreak and keep it unlocked?

Vespa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a 2nd hand iphone 4S that is locked to the service provider Telus (I'm in Canada). I'm currently with Bell and would prefer to stay with my current plan and number. I tried theunlockteam.com to unlock, but they said they can't do it, and suggested jailbreaking it and then unlocking it.

I've been reading about jailbreaking and am concerned that I would have trouble with OS upgrades after jailbreaking. I'm not look to do a lot of customization--I just want to unlock the phone. So, my question is: if I jailbreak the phone, unlock it, and then reset it through iTunes, will it "re-lock" to Telus?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

There is no correlation between jailbreaking and unlocking a phone. Jailbreaking will not help you unlock it.

All I can suggest is to try another unlocking service (or talk to Telus to see if they'll unlock the phone).

Marilyn

Thank you both so much for your reply.

If either of you have a chance, would you mind taking a look at the link to instructions they sent me for a tethered unlock and let me know if it looks at all legit to you? It looks like they want me to jailbreak it to be able to install a Cydia app that will unlock the phone.
4s Mac

I don't think Telus will unlock for me, even if I pay for it, as I do not have an account with them. They want you to have an account active for a few months in order to unlock, and I bought the phone from my partner's work, which sold them off cheap to staff after upgrading to the 6. Also, as any Canadian will know, all of our big carriers have super crappy customer service ;)

I guess a related question is: if I unlock the phone, and then reset it to factory setting in iTunes, do you know if that will interfere with the unlock/relock?

Thank so much! Obviously I am pretty confused and really appreciate the help!!!

Thank you both so much for your reply.

If either of you have a chance, would you mind taking a look at the link to instructions they sent me for a tethered unlock and let me know if it looks at all legit to you? It looks like they want me to jailbreak it to be able to install a Cydia app that will unlock the phone.
4s Mac

I don't think Telus will unlock for me, even if I pay for it, as I do not have an account with them. They want you to have an account active for a few months in order to unlock, and I bought the phone from my partner's work, which sold them off cheap to staff after upgrading to the 6. Also, as any Canadian will know, all of our big carriers have super crappy customer service ;)

I guess a related question is: if I unlock the phone, and then reset it to factory setting in iTunes, do you know if that will interfere with the unlock/relock?

Thank so much! Obviously I am pretty confused and really appreciate the help!!!
That link dates back to late 2011 and is for Jailbreaking the iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0.1. The Ultrasn0w unlock does not work on newer versions of iOS.

FYI, at the present time there is no Cydia app that can unlock your iPhone.

Thanks so much! Sounds like the unlocking service I used is bogus. I'll try to get a refund but it was only $9 so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Do you have an unlocking service or process you would recommend?

As far as I understand, I should legally be able to unlock this phone as it was paid for in full by the previous owner, who was a Telus customer. However, Telus will only do it if I am a Telus customer, which i don't want to be.

I really appreciate all the help you all have given me already!

Have you thought about getting the original owner of the phone to ask Telus to unlock it? If he asks, Telus is required by law to unlock the phone.