What's new

Camera quality of indoor shots

keith1210mk2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 4 that I love.
I just want to check with everyone else in the correct operation of the camera.

My outdoor shots even on gloomy days come out as expected as there is plenty of light available.

My problem is indoor shots especially in nightclubs, venues, even my own house!
Any slight movement will result in a blurred image even with the auto focus and exposure being used.

Now I know it's just a phone camera, but just want to double check my results with others.

I've checked the lens and there is no dust in it whatsoever, and my case does not obstruct the flash.

So any thoughts?

Thanks

The CCD in the iPhone 4 uses a simple algorithm for exposure time. That time is above the normal as it awaits enough saturation to take a usable image. Because the time is longer than "expected" most people can't keep their hands steady enough. Prop it on something stable and you will see a marked improvement on the "blur factor".

Skull One said:
The CCD in the iPhone 4 uses a simple algorithm for exposure time. That time is above the normal as it awaits enough saturation to take a usable image. Because the time is longer than "expected" most people can't keep their hands steady enough. Prop it on something stable and you will see a marked improvement on the "blur factor".

Thank you for the response.
So the iPhone will struggle with everyday situations involving moving objects (say, my son running) if there is minimal natural lighting?

That is correct. The CCD needs X number of milliseconds to grab enough light or the pixel will be black or some very dark shade of gray. So it basically uses a average to determine if enough pixels have light to say "good image" and snap it. During that time frame all the data is being collected. So if he moves just an inch, that is probably several pixels on the CCD and that will cause his image to be across more pixels than intended.

Skull One said:
That is correct. The CCD needs X number of milliseconds to grab enough light or the pixel will be black or some very dark shade of gray. So it basically uses a average to determine if enough pixels have light to say "good image" and snap it. During that time frame all the data is being collected. So if he moves just an inch, that is probably several pixels on the CCD and that will cause his image to be across more pixels than intended.

Brilliant! Thanks for all your help!