What's new

Bricked iphone 4

allieh

Reaction score
I have an untethered jailbroken iphone 4. I tried to remove the jailbreak and update the software, but it didn't work. Anyway, long story short, stupidly I used the 'erase all data and settings' function on a still jailbroken phone. It's currently stuck on the apple logo. I can't get it into DFU mode, neither can my husband, connecting it to mac does nothing but charge it, itunes doesn't recognise it at all. Is there anything at all that we can do?

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules
: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sur
e

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

Are you attempting to put the iPhone 4 into DFU by turning it off completely then putting it into DFU mode? Or are you putting it in DFU mode once you see the Apple logo.

I have an untethered jailbroken iphone 4. I tried to remove the jailbreak and update the software, but it didn't work. Anyway, long story short, stupidly I used the 'erase all data and settings' function on a still jailbroken phone. It's currently stuck on the apple logo. I can't get it into DFU mode, neither can my husband, connecting it to mac does nothing but charge it, itunes doesn't recognise it at all. Is there anything at all that we can do?
Just use the redsn0w tool...follow the directions to get you into DFU mode... it's all about exact timing...keep on trying until you get there...
Your options are to restore to the latest firmware or back to an Untethered jailbreakable firmware like 5.1.1..

Thanks Bula, tried again with redsn0w and have managed to get it into pwned DFU, so now should hopefully be able to get it working again! Thanks for making me persevere :)

Why would you want to go from an untethered JB to a tethered JB? Why not just keep your JB and when the ios6 comes out THEN update and JB

Why would you want to go from an untethered JB to a tethered JB? Why not just keep your JB and when the ios6 comes out THEN update and JB

TBH, tethered jailbreaks and untethered jailbreaks have minimal differences. About 95% or so of iPhone or iDevice users do not turn their devices off regularly, so they won't have to boot tethered unless they do, which is normally under a controlled situation when they have access to a computer at home and such. I've ran with a tethered jailbreak on quite a few of my devices and I've never had to use my netbook to boot it tethered except on the one occasion where I forgot to turn on my Mophie and my phone died on me.