What's new

bought an iPhone from someone off craigslist...

sono23

Reaction score
So, I bought an iPhone 4 off of craigslist locally and I wasn't too educated in knowing that Verizon phones don't have a sim card. This iphone is still linked to his account at the moment. I was told only the owner of the line of service is able to take it off of his account. So, I tried contacting him. His friend I am emailed said he'd tell him and take it off. But it still has service and I know he hasn't called Verizon. I'm assuming he skipped out on his contract/bill.

side (funny) note: When I bought his phone from him, he had a couple videos of his marijuana plant in his bathroom. haha. and He had texts still coming in a day later, saying, "U up? be over in an hour to play 'ball'" hahaha what ever that meant. ball was in quotes on the text. haha.

So, what I'm asking is, will the phone ever be available for me to use? Will verizon just take it off his account eventually? Right now I'm just using the wifi on it and using it as an ipod.

Thanks.

:iphone4vert:

it's really no skin off my nose if I have to turn it in. I just thought I'd be able to use it on my t-mobile account. I only paid $125 for this phone. Thanks for the replies!

If that phone was even his, not stolen, lost and found, and he did skip out on the bill you cannot activate that phone on Verizon. What you need to do is call Verizon and see what they say which is probably to turn the phone in as it is their property. If you don't fulfill your end of the contract you don't get to keep the phone.

Verizon phones by the way do come with SIM cards if you purchase them from Verizon. Craig's List is just evil, lick your wounds and just walk away from it. Lesson learned.

OP has an iPhone 4 which does not have a SIM...

The only iPhone that Verizon has ever sold with a SIM is the 5. The iPhone 4S was a dual band phone but did not come with a SIM if sold for direct Verizon use. The iPhone 4 was a single band phone and only the GSM version came with a SIM.

it's really no skin off my nose if I have to turn it in. I just thought I'd be able to use it on my t-mobile account. I only paid $125 for this phone. Thanks for the replies!

Talk to verizon and explain the situation and see if they can help you in any way. A lot of reps are happy to help people out. I was trying to help a guy out with an iPhone 4 that was blacklisted and he took to verizon and they gave him one for free to use.