What's new

Activating New iphone4 bought on ebay

glockaxis

Reaction score
Hello all!

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this board. I'm awaiting shipment on a brand new, unopened iphone4 that I bought on ebay (should be here Tuesday). The guy supposedly got it through an upgrade but never opened it. In my anxiousness to get this phone I have been scouring the net finding all things about the iphone4.

Anyway, I stumbled upon another site that said it would be difficult programing a phone bought in this method because whether the seller opened it or not, it is still tied to his account. He supposedly needs to activate it on his account first, accept the terms, then deactivate it then put back whatever phone he is using on Verizon. Only then can I activate it on mine. Does this sound correct?

I was hoping to get it and just hook it up to my itunes account and be done. Does anyone know for sure what the proper process is for doing this? If this is too much of a hassle for me I might just return it for a refund and pony up and get one from the local Apple store. What do you think?

Thanks

You need to get the meid number on it and call verizon to see if that phone can even be activated. That way you would know if that phone wasn't stolen, etc before you bought it. Any honest seller would give you this info so you don't get a brick.

Seller said everything is fine with Verizon, and I should be able to activate it no problem. What I don't get is how everything is fine if the shrink wrap wasn't even cut open on the box. How could it be taken out of his name if it wasn't even activated for him at all?

He went on to state that he would be willing to do a conference call with Verizon if necessary if I give him my number and a time to call. I responded that this is becoming more of a hassle and I want a refund as per his return policy (return the iphone box unopened for a full refund within 7 days).

Should I give it a shot or just take the refund and forget the whole thing? I will get an iphone one way or the other.

Once you accept the phone, he gets your money. You may never hear from him again. Always demand meid and call verizon before ever making and offer. I hope the seller is straight up. As far as the phone. It doesn't have to be taken out of the shrink wrap. The meid is on the box. It is assigned to his account, all he needs to do is call verizon and have them release the account on the phone. He should have done at before he decided to sell it. once released, anyone can own the phone.

Once you accept the phone, he gets your money. You may never hear from him again. Always demand meid and call verizon before ever making and offer. I hope the seller is straight up. As far as the phone. It doesn't have to be taken out of the shrink wrap. The meid is on the box. It is assigned to his account, all he needs to do is call verizon and have them release the account on the phone. He should have done at before he decided to sell it. once released, anyone can own the phone.
Last time I sold a phone on eBay, paypal held the money until the buyer left feedback. They told me it was their way of protecting their buyers of fraud. Kinda cool, but annoying at the same time when he left feedback after 3 days and they still waited 3 weeks to release the money.

Back in the day, I took advantage of an extra line to get a second blackberry for no charge. What they did was scan the box, activate the line (which requires the phone be powered on and programmed) and then afterwards they place the old phone back on the line.

I was able to then sell the blackberry. What confuses me is that the phone will be in the system pending an activation before it can be released. I dont know if things have changed since I did this 3 years ago, but with the box still sealed, Im not sure how this can happen.

Whenever you buy a new phone in the store, they have to activate it to make the MEID number active, then remove the phone if you dont want it on the line.

Think of it like a gift card... the card number itself is useless if the card hasnt been activated. This is why stores have no problem hanging hundreds of gift cards on hangers since they are just pieces of plastic until entered into the system. The MEID number is the same way. If a phone is "lost" before its sold, its just a piece of metal.

I bought my phone from Apple directly for the Verizon Preorder and when the phone came to me, the second I plugged it in told me it was pending activation since the MEID number was entered into the system, but hadnt yet been powered on.

I cant see how this MEID on this phone can be active and ready to activate in a sealed package, UNLESS he opened it, activated, switched the old phone back and then resealed the package, which isnt really shady at all.

I hope it all works out for you.

i bought my iphone 4 off ebay.,. here is what you have to do.. first go online to your account.. go to switch devices. put that meid # on there. then plug phone into Itunes and activate it that way..

the seller all he has to do is accept the new contract via a phone call..

i know this works i have done it twice (unopened iphones off ebay or other buyers)

dont call them they will tell you different :)

I am receiving the phone tomorrow. I called Verizon with the MEID number and they said it is clean, was activated but taken off his line, and that all I have to do is dial the 228 number and activate it on my account followed by syncing it to my itunes. Hopefully it works as seamless as this.

Congratulations! Since Verizon says it is ready to activate, it will go smoothly.

Just an update: Everything worked perfect and was activated without a hitch! I'm enjoying my iphone!