What's new

Bluetooth on/off

Zeus661

Reaction score
My new iPhone 5 comes in about a week. My car has the hands free Bluetooth feature and I want to know the best way to set it up so I don't drain the iPhone battery searching for my cars Bluetooth when I am not in it.

Or can I just set it and not worry? My main concern is the battery drain.

My Bluetooth remains on all the time. Along with my wireless. Turning them on and off when unused will not produce appreciable battery saving. I've done tests.

Having said that though. I find turning on airplane mode thereby turning off all data and voice does produce quite a battery saving.

So turning on airplane mode and I will not be able to make a call and I will miss calls?

If your car has factory built in Bluetooth capability it will be ignition fed. i.e. The bluetooth will only ever be on when ignition is on. So when in car always make sure iPhone is charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any issue with overcharging? I can plug it in numerous times a day?

Zeus661 said:
Any issue with overcharging? I can plug it in numerous times a day?

No issue. You can plug it in multiple times a day.

You don't need the iphone plugged in and charging to use the bluetooth in your car. In fact i never plug mine into the car for charging.
I always leave my blue tooth on and my wifi on and i see no battery drain on my phone when they are not in use. Besides the blue tooth and wifi use such little power when it is connected to a device that it hardly makes a difference at all. Having the blue tooth feature is a very nice feature to have. you don't have to do anything once you have your phone pared with your car. just simply get in your car start it up and it connects automaticly to your phone.

My Bluetooth remains on all the time. Along with my wireless. Turning them on and off when unused will not produce appreciable battery saving. I've done tests.

Same here, the Bluetooth & WiFi on my phone remain on all the time. When I turn my car on, the Handsfree Bluetooth and FM transmitter get connected to my phone automatically. I have never had any battery issue with have Bluetooth & WiFi on.

You don't need the iphone plugged in and charging to use the bluetooth in your car. In fact i never plug mine into the car for charging.
I always leave my blue tooth on and my wifi on and i see no battery drain on my phone when they are not in use. Besides the blue tooth and wifi use such little power when it is connected to a device that it hardly makes a difference at all. Having the blue tooth feature is a very nice feature to have. you don't have to do anything once you have your phone pared with your car. just simply get in your car start it up and it connects automaticly to your phone.

My issued seems to be a bit different. With my old Android as soon as I got in the car, it recognized the bluetooth and I was connected. Now, with the iPhone5, it seems that I have to "select, recognize and confirm" the iPhone before it connects.
Is that unusual? Is there a way to automatically connect?

muelgrub said:
My issued seems to be a bit different. With my old Android as soon as I got in the car, it recognized the bluetooth and I was connected. Now, with the iPhone5, it seems that I have to "select, recognize and confirm" the iPhone before it connects.

I don't see any options for devices to do that so I would suggest unpair by forget this device and pair it again. you may have to do that from your car stereo also or you may have multiple BT devices on it and confusing it.

I don't have the iphone 5 yet, but my iphone 4 (with iOS6) works exactly as you are describing: "as soon as I get in the car, it recognizes the bluetooth and I am connected". If I remember when I paired it for the first time, there was an "AUTO" connect thing somewhere. Maybe, delete the bluetooth device on your phone and try to re pair it and see if you identify the auto option.

I don't have the iphone 5 yet, but my iphone 4 (with iOS6) works exactly as you are describing: "as soon as I get in the car, it recognizes the bluetooth and I am connected". If I remember when I paired it for the first time, there was an "AUTO" connect thing somewhere. Maybe, delete the bluetooth device on your phone and try to re pair it and see if you identify the auto option.
I tried that twice, still the same result.

With our Honda CRV - after the initial pairing - my five is automatically recognized immediately when I get in the car. However - hmmm - when my daughter gets in with her 4S, she has to pair again. Then when I enter - I need to pair again. Seems it's not "group" friendly... As long as only one of us keeps driving - it stays friendly with that phone. It onlys gets upset when the other of us enters the car.

And with that said - we haven't both been in the car at the same time. Wondering what would happen in that scenario! ;)

Anything we can do about this?

Most BT devices that are in cars are meant for only one device connecting, thus you have to re-pair. the only time I have seen this not be the case is in very high-end cars and head-units and add-on BT radios - stuff that starts in the $1k range. Honda's factory installed BT, one device at a time.

when both of you get in the car, the car will recognise the last device it had paired with.