What's new

Blocking Specific iPhone Apps via Wireless Router

rdbjr57

Reaction score
I'm setting up my wireless router at home to put parental controls in place. I'm pretty close to what I want but am stuck and have no idea how to proceed. I can block wireless access by device, either the device entirely or specific times of day. I can also limit specific apps (internet, for example.) I can set up, for instance, facebook.com to not work via the Safari browser, but it also stops the iPhone Facebook app from working. So up to this point, I can do what I want.

But on other apps I'm having trouble. If I want to block the delivered app "Messages" (for instant messaging) what domain do I list in the "blocked" list? (Like I entered facebook.com and the facebook app is blocked.) Is there a list somewhere of "domain names" for iPhone apps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

I'm setting up my wireless router at home to put parental controls in place. I'm pretty close to what I want but am stuck and have no idea how to proceed. I can block wireless access by device, either the device entirely or specific times of day. I can also limit specific apps (internet, for example.) I can set up, for instance, facebook.com to not work via the Safari browser, but it also stops the iPhone Facebook app from working. So up to this point, I can do what I want. But on other apps I'm having trouble. If I want to block the delivered app "Messages" (for instant messaging) what domain do I list in the "blocked" list? (Like I entered facebook.com and the facebook app is blocked.) Is there a list somewhere of "domain names" for iPhone apps? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Bob
The only way I know to restrict certain usages for a minor is to go to Settings>General>Restrictions. You will need to use a passcode the minor does not know. I don't know if Messages is listed. Do you refer to iMessage? You would need to restrict App Store downloads. How old is the child?

I'm talking about putting restrictions on the router, not on the iPhone/iPad. There are two kids... pre teen boy and young teenage girl.