What's new

Blocking phone number

poppalot

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum seems like there is great info here. I look forward to reading many of the older posts.

I do have a question. I have an iPhone 6. I had a 4 before. But I think this is more of an iOS question. For business reasons I block my outbound number. The problem is of course anyone that I am a contact of has no idea it's me when I call so they often let it go to voicemail. Is there some way of unblocking my number to specific contacts. I.e.: my wife, kids etc...?

Showing your caller ID is an all or nothing thing with the iPhone. You may want to contact your carrier to see if they offer an option to display your caller ID only to specified contacts.

Showing your caller ID is an all or nothing thing with the iPhone. You may want to contact your carrier to see if they offer an option to display your caller ID only to specified contacts.

That's what it seems like. Seems ridiculous in today's computer world. The really strange thing is occasionally I will be calling a business like my bank or something and they will be able to see my number on their caller ID even though it is blocked. Makes no sense.

Funny you say that, l didn't realise this. Tonight l reactivated my iPhone 5s. I was sent lots of messages with strange mixed up letters and numbers. I blocked this number. Then l called my iPhone 7 and caller id showed up without problem. I only did this to confirm the SIM card telephone number. Having said that l have many numbers blocked from getting my id.

That's what it seems like. Seems ridiculous in today's computer world.
For one: It's really your carrier doing the blocking, not your device.

I suspect that, when you configure it into your phone, what actually happens is your phone automatically prepends each call with *69. Of course, if they wanted to, the software people could allow you to exclude chosen people on your list.

The really strange thing is occasionally I will be calling a business like my bank or something and they will be able to see my number on their caller ID even though it is blocked. Makes no sense.
You wouldn't happen to be calling toll-free numbers, when this happens, would you?
Blocking your number temporarily only works while calling businesses and individuals. Your phone number cannot be blocked while calling toll-free numbers or emergency services.
Source: Block your cellphone number from caller ID with this one trick

I didn't know that about till free numbers. I'm pretty sure that is it.