What's new

Blackberry user here: should I switch?

Mobileme sounds great to sync my Outlook calendars to the phone, but I'm not hearing great things about getting it set up to work flawlessly with gmail accounts. I'd quite happily pay the $99 per year if this was a perfect solution.

Yea, I don't think google and mobile me is or ever will be "flawless"

Mobileme sounds great to sync my Outlook calendars to the phone, but I'm not hearing great things about getting it set up to work flawlessly with gmail accounts. I'd quite happily pay the $99 per year if this was a perfect solution.

Yea, I don't think google and mobile me is or ever will be "flawless"

Well maybe not completely flawless, but flawless enough to be easily usable.

Other than the issues you've discovered so far through this conversation, the iPhone doesn't allow you to (based on my understanding) 'Mark all prior read' like the BB. I like that my work BB allows me to do that, because I'll scan my e-mails in the morning, open what's important and mark the rest as read for the sole purpose of allowing all new e-mails to stand out from that point forward.

Overall, based on how you use the BB for work, I personally don't think you would be happy with the iPhone. My husband is an architect engineer for a well-known mutual fund company and was individually tasked with testing the iPhone for the business. Other than the fact that it doesn't have the enterprise security capabilities that the business requires (which probably isn't as much of a concern to you) it really doesn't offer what the company needs specifically as it relates to e-mail. All of the other functions of the iPhone are awesome, but the e-mail capabilities are a show stopper.

Hope this helps!

I think BB is designed for business, but iPhone 4 for everything, business, entertainment, convenient communication, etc.

I want an iPhone 4, but I haven't one so far. So many iPhone 4 fans.

The fetch accounts fetch every 15min... Never had a problem.

"Every 15 minutes" is a big problem for me.

You can receive email in real time if you set push to "ON." In the "OFF" position, the frequency can be set to 15/30/hour/or manual. So as far as receiving emails, you do get it in real time.

Hope this helps.

Except for that fact that the iPhone fails to push e-mails when you travel through different networks. Am I the only one on this message board who has had this problem?

Long time bb user here too. Have Verizon curve on BES issued by government for work, and had curve 8900 on AT&T BIS for personal. I'll admit the BB push is more reliable, but if I check email on my iPhone it instantly pulls in any that didn't come through push. I can understand wanting instant notice if it's business critical, but don't you have other things you're doing throughout the day for your business? Do you really drop what you're doing and check new emails? Seems not that hard to launch email periodically and get the messages then if they were not pushed.

As for battery I'm finding the iPhone 4 is as good or better than my curve 8900, which was awesome. And the browsing, maps, ability to read attachments are better on the iPhone. That has to be good for business too. Agree with the others. Go to an Apple store and check it out. Good luck

Long time bb user here too. Have Verizon curve on BES issued by government for work, and had curve 8900 on AT&T BIS for personal. I'll admit the BB push is more reliable, but if I check email on my iPhone it instantly pulls in any that didn't come through push. I can understand wanting instant notice if it's business critical, but don't you have other things you're doing throughout the day for your business? Do you really drop what you're doing and check new emails? Seems not that hard to launch email periodically and get the messages then if they were not pushed.

As for battery I'm finding the iPhone 4 is as good or better than my curve 8900, which was awesome. And the browsing, maps, ability to read attachments are better on the iPhone. That has to be good for business too. Agree with the others. Go to an Apple store and check it out. Good luck

I run a busy dog walking business in Manhattan. It's very rare that I'm indoors, on a typical day I'll be walking a few one off dogs and also covering for sick or absent employees etc. So I basically rely on my phone to run the business. I have all of my scheduling on there, even the accounts. Everything syncs flawlessly to my PC. I really do need emails fast - I'll receive a customer inquiry that's also been sent out to my competitors. If I can call them straight away and talk to them, my chances of landing them as a client increase tenfold. If I leave it even 15 minutes, there is a good chance that a competitor has already spoken to them and arranged things. I'm just used to hearing that loud BB beep and seeing that red indicator, makes things run so smoothly.

This is a very informative thread for me. I used to use a BB 8130, now have a Android, and plan on getting a Iphone 4. The blackberry was awesome for my business but, the Android has been also.

This is a very informative thread for me. I used to use a BB 8130, now have a Android, and plan on getting a Iphone 4. The blackberry was awesome for my business but, the Android has been also.

Just curious cuz i never had an Android. Anyways, why are you making the switch to Iphone?

"Every 15 minutes" is a big problem for me.

You can receive email in real time if you set push to "ON." In the "OFF" position, the frequency can be set to 15/30/hour/or manual. So as far as receiving emails, you do get it in real time.

Hope this helps.

Except for that fact that the iPhone fails to push e-mails when you travel through different networks. Am I the only one on this message board who has had this problem?

I'm not sure I really understand, but wouldn't the BB have the same problem too if you travel through differ networks?

Just curious cuz i never had an Android. Anyways, why are you making the switch to Iphone?

It's not a easy decision and, I'm not totally on-board yet. I'm here to get some more information on the phone from people who have been using it.

One of the main reasons I'm thinking about switching is the integration with Itunes and apps that I've purchased with the Ipad. I also plan on getting a Mac mini in the future. It just seems like a cool phone and I had always wanted one. I found out about my current phone (Nexus one) from a friend - who has a Iphone ironically - and bought it without doing enough research. It's a very nice phone but, it has a few glitches. To some it's a big deal but not to me. It works for everything I do in my business.

If the Iphone 4 can do everything that my Nexus 1 does as far as my business is concerned then it's a no-brainier to get one because, this is the phone I wanted from the beginning. Android is more customizable and you can root it easily (or Jailbreak it as you guys say on here) but, that's not a big deal to me. I like the fact that you can change the background but, now I believe you can do that with the Iphone now.

I also like the way the Iphone adds another home-screen only after you've filled up one. The android only has 4 home screens and remains blank until you fill them up were as, the Iphone can have as many home screens as you want, based on what you need and, how many apps you have. That's not a big deal to some but, I like it. The Iphone is also a lot smoother in operation.

I'm not thrilled about having to switch to At & t however, after using my plan with T-mobile; I know my data usage habits and, have found that I can tailor a package with At& t that will be almost identical to what I pay now. I also have a Ipad 3G and will use it for browsing most of the time.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure I really understand, but wouldn't the BB have the same problem too if you travel through differ networks?

Sorry networks isn't the right word for what I was trying to explain. As you, and your phone, travel through different parts of the city and go from one type of coverage, 3G, to another, say EDGE or WIFI, the iPhone immediately loses the ability to automatically push e-mail.

Sorry networks isn't the right word for what I was trying to explain. As you, and your phone, travel through different parts of the city and go from one type of coverage, 3G, to another, say EDGE or WIFI, the iPhone immediately loses the ability to automatically push e-mail.

I'm not really sure what you are referring to.... I go from 3G,edge,the AT&T repeater in my building... Wifi.... Push email pushes..... It's fast easy it just works! If it's not a push server it fetches.... Nothing to do with what network you are on or travel thru.

when you want a business phone, blackberry is the answer. but when you are looking for the apps, you should take iphone