What's new

Best way to handle/approve cellular data connection

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
What would be the best way to handle/utilize manual approval of iPhone using cellular data transfer? I.e. when I'm not on any wifi network, and some app wants to connect, is there any tool that would make the device ask me for permission first?

Right now, I guess all I can do is use Settings / General / Cellular and turn "Cellular Data" and "Enable 3G" to OFF (or, I suppose, use the 3G and Data toggles on SBSettings menu to do the same).

Bottom line is, I don't want any non-wifi data transfer "behind my back".

You can disable cellular data from being used in the individual settings for each of your iPhone apps. Per default 3G is not enabled for any app or apps ask you whether you wish to turn on 3G once the occasion is such. Also when you are in youru "Cellular" settings on your iPhone look under the "Use Cellular Data for:" section. Chances are though, you wouldn't have a wide choise of apps listed there.

I have a limited data plan so I'm used to turning my cell data on and off. I leave 3G on as it goes off when I switch data off and, for me, EDGE is useless. It would be nice if there were a button for this as there will be (iOS7) for Bluetooth and airplane mode but I'm not complaining (well, except for this). Rant over. 8)

[...] "Cellular" settings on your iPhone look under the "Use Cellular Data for:" section. Chances are though, you wouldn't have a wide choise of apps listed there.
Is that section only displayed after turning cellular to ON?

Is that section only displayed after turning cellular to ON?
Enable LTE and data roaming disappear if you turn off cellular data. $image-3032509211.jpg $image-1873473980.jpg

Last edited: