What's new

Battery: What Completely Running it Down mean?

jauhari

Reaction score
I was read from Apple Source here
Apple - Batteries - iPhone

They said
Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).​
My Question is "then completely running it down", does it's mean we use this phone until this phone self turn off/shut down? or it's mean something else?

Yes, just run it till it dies. Then plug it in until it's full. Once a month is plenty....

Good heads up ! i never let it go even close to 0%

The general consensus among battery manufacturers is, discharge a little below 20%, and then charge. I have heard that discharging all the way to often can harm the battery. All though I don't think the iDevices will let you discharge to 0%, they power down before you get too low. I have noticed that all the battery apps suggest 20% also.

Yes, just run it till it dies. Then plug it in until it's full. Once a month is plenty....
Okay... Does we need to wait and keep it off/died in one - five hours or we can plug it directly when it off?

Once you have run it to zero (only once a month) you can just plug it in. As Poco said the rest of the time plan on charging once you hit 15-20%.

I have always read, that you should not run any lithium batteries to completely flat, charge as you go, so I am not sure what is different with this lithium one.

When you let the charge go down enough that the phone turns itself off, there's still a % or more of power left in the battery. The phone needs enough juice to shut its computer down correctly. Ever pull the plug on a PC or have a power outage while it was running and not have problems rebooting? I'm always pulling the wrong plug out of my power strip, I've got 3 PCs on it. When I reboot a PC I get the BOD, white screens, green screens, all telling me the PC was not shut down properly. Maybe I'm the only one though...............:p

Last edited:
A full charge cycle doesn't mean to run the battery down completely at once. A charge cycle can happen over several days. If you let it go down 25% four times and charge it every time within a month counts as a full charge cycle. Basically, as long as you use it, it will be fine.

A full charge cycle doesn't mean to run the battery down completely at once. A charge cycle can happen over several days. If you let it go down 25% four times and charge it every time within a month counts as a full charge cycle. Basically, as long as you use it, it will be fine.

I think many of us would disagree with this. By your reasoning we could let it run down to only 90% ten times a month and then recharging each time and that would count as a full recharge.

Don't think so.

I think many of us would disagree with this. By your reasoning we could let it run down to only 90% ten times a month and then recharging each time and that would count as a full recharge.

Don't think so.

That's the way it works with lithium batteries. Read:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Last edited:
Well, I stand corrected. The article appears to say exactly what JSCOLLIN stated. Basically, as I understand it now, it matters not how low you let the battery go before recharging it. Just recharge to 100% fairly often and you shouldn't have any problems long term. Yet we keep seeing discussions saying that you should occasionally let the battery totally discharge. This is not supported by the Apple article in this link:

Apple - Batteries

.....we keep seeing discussions saying that you should occasionally let the battery totally discharge. This is not supported by the Apple article in this link:

Apple - Batteries

But in this one:;)

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Last edited: