What's new

Battery drain by leaving display on?

Tricon7

Reaction score
I'd like to leave my display on instead of have it dim off after two minutes of inactivity, but I'm wondering how much it would drain the battery by doing so? Has anyone done this?

3G, WiFi, Screen, CPU/GPU. That is the battery drain order. By leaving the screen on, you cause the device to stay out of sleep mode which means not only are you wasting battery on the screen but the CPU/GPU as well. I doubt the phone will last more than 12 hours with the screen left on all the time. Not to mention the fact you are actually cutting into the screens back-light lifetime.

Tricon7 said:
I'd like to leave my display on instead of have it dim off after two minutes of inactivity, but I'm wondering how much it would drain the battery by doing so? Has anyone done this?

Why would you want then screen on all the time? Makes no sense

Of course it will drain the battery, the power for the backlight has to come from somewhere. If you were to leave the backlight on 24/7 it would drain your battery quite a bit faster.

Tricon7 said:

Why would you want then screen on all the time? Makes no sense

When I'm relaxing and listening to music, I don't necessarily want to hear the next song in the list. I usually like to pick and choose. But when the phone goes into hibernate, I have to "activate" it every time in order to select a new song, which gets real old. I guess I can just change the setting and keep the display "always on" while I'm listing to tunes, then change it back when I'm done. It's a bit of a hassle, but....life could be worse.

Tricon7 said:
When I'm relaxing and listening to music, I don't necessarily want to hear the next song in the list. I usually like to pick and choose. But when the phone goes into hibernate, I have to "activate" it every time in order to select a new song, which gets real old. I guess I can just change the setting and keep the display "always on" while I'm listing to tunes, then change it back when I'm done. It's a bit of a hassle, but....life could be worse.

You can also double tap the home button while on the lock screen to bring up the music controls.

iCrank said:
You can also double tap the home button while on the lock screen to bring up the music controls.

Exactly