What's new

Battery Drain 4.2.8 on IP 4

My phone last a minimum of 18 hours. No batt drain.

What kind of usage u make on your phone? And how have u set up your push, fetch, wifi, Bluetooth, brightness etc... On your device?

The battery life could be better... especially since the iPhone 4 has the best battery supposedly.

Anyways... I've updated to 4.2.8 also, and the phone seems a bit slower at closing out apps, or going to the home screen. I've restored and it still seems slower than other iPhone 4's running older versions... This is a MAJOR concern to me considering what happened to my 3G phone slowing down when I had that model....

I've done side-by-side comparisons with other iPhone 4's and mine is slower, I've turned off Spotlight and did all the usual things like closing out apps... I average around 10-50MB free RAM so it couldn't be a memory issue, especially since I only have 15 apps anyways...

Me and my brother both bought our iPhone's on the same day at the Verizon store on May 3rd. I got the white one, he got the black one. That's the only difference. He's never updated his. I updated mine to 4.2.8 and mine is a tad bit slower at accessing the home screen now....

What's apple saying about this iOS 4.2.8 ? do the know about this issue on the iOS?
I thought it backed up automatically with every sync ... apparently not. In addition to changing Push to Fetch for email settings, reducing location services to just weather and google maps, and frequently closing background apps, I turned off spotlight search 2 hours ago and that seems to help. I'll keep you posted on the battery drain and heat issues. Another interesting glitch is that I cannot delete text messages. The red delete button quickly appears then disappears whether I swipe the message or use the edit button. Guess I'll have to wait for the update to the update.
I timed the battery drain and every hour I lost 8-9% of battery life. I pressed the home button to monitor the drain when the 1-hour timer went off. No calls, no texts, nothing for 6 hours and I stopped the study at 49%.
Later, I turned off all location services and found that was the source of the battery drain. That's in addition to offing spotlight search and backgrounds apps frequently. I've been using the phone to talk, and check some email and after 4 hours the battery is at 52%. Not great, but good enough to get me to the 4.2.9 that will fix the battery and other problems.

How do you get it to last that long?? mine was 100% at 12:00 it's now 3:40 and it's at 56% within 4 hours... I have the white iPhone 4 only 2 weeks old any suggestions guys?

I turn bluetooth off endless I need it sane with locations and wifi. And I put push to notifications on. But email push to manual. And turn iPod eq off. That should help.

Orange County John said:
I timed the battery drain and every hour I lost 8-9% of battery life. I pressed the home button to monitor the drain when the 1-hour timer went off. No calls, no texts, nothing for 6 hours and I stopped the study at 49%.
Later, I turned off all location services and found that was the source of the battery drain. That's in addition to offing spotlight search and backgrounds apps frequently. I've been using the phone to talk, and check some email and after 4 hours the battery is at 52%. Not great, but good enough to get me to the 4.2.9 that will fix the battery and other problems.

I updated my iphone to ios 4.3.3. and still having regular issues with heavy battery drain. Battery is dead in one day, just on stand-by with all background apps switched off. Also, slow scrolling through the address book, battery feeling hot, impossible to swipe messages to delete them (when tapping the minus sign the "delete" icon comes on and immediately disappears again).
The problem seems to happen when I'm unable to connect to a wifi network for some time.
Any ideas how to overcome this?

I updated my iphone to ios 4.3.3. and still having regular issues with heavy battery drain. Battery is dead in one day, just on stand-by with all background apps switched off. Also, slow scrolling through the address book, battery feeling hot, impossible to swipe messages to delete them (when tapping the minus sign the "delete" icon comes on and immediately disappears again).
The problem seems to happen when I'm unable to connect to a wifi network for some time.
Any ideas how to overcome this?

How comes and some are having serious issues with their battery where some are just set good with their battery? Did you get the iOS into your phone via iTunes? And was your itunes uptodate when you perform the update?

As far as I can remember, the update was done with ITunes and its software was up to date.
Looking at some erarlier messages about battery drain, this issue has been reported also with previous IOS versions. Has Apple done nothing about this?

try to get the free version of "system" app from the app store, get the pay version if you can, and use it to refresh you system memory. I'm using it all the time i close an application to free up my system memory, and i really don't have those issue with my battery, well i should say that i'm on 4.3.3 instead of 4.2.8, but many also complain about battery dying fast on 4.3.3. Well why not trying it out for a couple of days see how it goes. Refresh your system after closing an app, specially those like games or skype etc..

try to get the free version of "system" app from the app store, get the pay version if you can, and use it to refresh you system memory. I'm using it all the time i close an application to free up my system memory, and i really don't have those issue with my battery, well i should say that i'm on 4.3.3 instead of 4.2.8, but many also complain about battery dying fast on 4.3.3. Well why not trying it out for a couple of days see how it goes. Refresh your system after closing an app, specially those like games or skype etc..

Hey bab which one do you use system status or system info i see these 2 in the app store.

Hey bab which one do you use system status or system info i see these 2 in the app store.
i will lookup for it in the app store soon and post a screenshot here for clear info.

Search in the app store.
7b797bb2-5188-6af5.jpg

Download it
7b797bb2-51b3-e045.jpg

Here it is.
7b797bb2-51cb-c13a.jpg

Here is what I have running in the background.
7b797bb2-51f4-ddb0.jpg

Here is the memory I'm having while those apps running in background.
7b797bb2-5237-9883.jpg

I close all running apps from the background.
7b797bb2-5264-3ed9.jpg

Here is how much released memories.
7b797bb2-528d-5a12.jpg

Now I will refresh the memory.
7b797bb2-52b5-4b80.jpg

Here is the amount of free memories I'm having after refreshing.
7b797bb2-52ec-0f5f.jpg

Well I'm not saying that this will cure the battery drain issue, I just think that manually freeing the memories can help the battery not to drain that much in a certain way related with the memory. I found my self doing this each time I close a heavy memory usage app. And I really don't have any issue with my battery. And here is what I get when I almost don't use the phone with heavy apps like games or videos skype etc... And use it only for SMS, phone call and some light Internet reading.
7b797bb2-5426-15c7.jpg

Again my iOS is 4.3.3 instead of 4.2.8 so I understand that we are not on the same iOS versions but that trick might help some of you maybe.

How do you get it to last that long?? mine was 100% at 12:00 it's now 3:40 and it's at 56% within 4 hours... I have the white iPhone 4 only 2 weeks old any suggestions guys?

wow!!! i leave for work with a 100% for 6 hours, i text a little, play a game for a little bit, make a call for about 10-15 minutes on break,check emails and when i leave i have anywhere from 87%-92% battery left!!

Do you own the white or the black iPhone 4? Yeah I love the iPhone but the battery life bugs me :(