What's new

Battery dies fast after jailbreak 5.1.1

Chris951 said:
Yeah my battery used to last all day. Now it goes down 10% every 45 minutes of use with the same settings and apps. Only thing different is the updated iOS. I heard battery life is better now on the 4s but not my 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a defected battery. That's pretty bad battery life.

Perhaps order a new battery. ifixit.com or the S-W Box website.

Could be a defected battery. That's pretty bad battery life.

Perhaps order a new battery. ifixit.com or the S-W Box website.

Ok I'll look into that. It's just weird because this phone isn't even two months old yet

Chris951 said:
Ok I'll look into that. It's just weird because this phone isn't even two months old yet

Yes...that's why I suggest it could be a defected battery.

I also heard that just disconnecting the batter at medium charge....then reconnecting it can make the battery perform better....well...not perform better....let the device properly gauge battery life.

Never fried it. Have no idea if it works.

Wow. What a difference in battery life from jailbreak to another. My previous jailbreak left me with good battery life but the 5.1.1 just slapped me silly. 2 hours of listening to music and 1 short phone call, battery went from 100% to 20%. Wow!

maxwell said:
Wow. What a difference in battery life from jailbreak to another. My previous jailbreak left me with good battery life but the 5.1.1 just slapped me silly. 2 hours of listening to music and 1 short phone call, battery went from 100% to 20%. Wow!

That is not 5.1.1 or the jailbreak.

That is something else.

2 hours down to 20% with said usage?

Something is seriously wrong with your device.

Only person "ever" I heard of that had battery life like that.

Did you even cycle charge before assuming its the jailbreak or the iOS?

Because if it's anything, it's either a hardware problem...or you restored to a corrupted backup that was created from the device while it was jailbroken.

No way the 5.1.1 jailbreak combo caused that...there is just no way that is even close to possible.lol.

you have other problems. I've gotten better battery life since the JB. I just got back from a 4 hour hike with music playing, and a gps pedometer running the entire time - started at 100% and now have 78%. Before the JB, it was 50% on the same route.

AZsteelman said:
you have other problems. I've gotten better battery life since the JB. I just got back from a 4 hour hike with music playing, and a gps pedometer running the entire time - started at 100% and now have 78%. Before the JB, it was 50% on the same route.

You have multitasking tweaks installed.

I use:

MutliCleaner
Multifl0w
Backgrounder

And my battery life alway gets better after installing those tweaks...tho I'm pretty sure MultiCleaner is the main battery saver here. Multifl0w is just a visual thing..that also makes closing apps almost as easy as MultiCleaner does.lol.

If that's the case then it's still under warranty. Just restore to a stock iOS and run it on the factory iOS for a few days and then take it into Apple, they will run a diagnostic test and if the battery is not performing correctly they will give you a brand new phone.

Yes...that's why I suggest it could be a defected battery.

I also heard that just disconnecting the batter at medium charge....then reconnecting it can make the battery perform better....well...not perform better....let the device properly gauge battery life.

Never fried it. Have no idea if it works.

Well, I'm gonna be purchasing a battery soon from ifixit. I had no idea they were so cheap. I gotta get the little tool set too but its still not that bad of a price. I had shattered the back of my last iphone and I have insurance through Best Buy so I let them deal with it and got a new iphone. Except they had to ship mine out and my replacement was shipped to them. So, I'm thinking my "new" iphone that I got less than 2 months ago from all that is refurbished because it arrived at the store in a bag with my receipt, just the phone. Which would explain why the battery life is junk. I had got a replacement before but they gave me one that was new in the box from their shelf of phones. SO, I'm just gonna assume the one I have now is refurbished and will be purchasing a new battery lol. Thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. Oh and sorry to thread-jack OP.

If that's the case then it's still under warranty. Just restore to a stock iOS and run it on the factory iOS for a few days and then take it into Apple, they will run a diagnostic test and if the battery is not performing correctly they will give you a brand new phone.

Well, I purchased my original Iphone 4 from Best Buy last December. The first one wouldnt stop roaming so best buy straight up replaced it with a brand new one in the store. The second one I dropped in muddy slushy snow and it got all beat up, and best buy replaced that one with a brand new one in the store and I got insurance with them that day. The third one I dropped and shattered the back glass and since I had insurance with best buy at that time they had to send it out. It was replaced with a refurbished phone I'm assuming since it just came in a bag. So I dont have an original box to prove that I purchased this specific phone less than a year ago... Could I still go through apple? Because I would honeslty rather do that then spend money on a new battery.

So I dont have an original box to prove that I purchased this specific phone less than a year ago... Could I still go through apple? Because I would honeslty rather do that then spend money on a new battery.

You don't need a box. Best Buy gets all their iPhone stock from Apple just like every other store. No matter where you purchased it from, Apple will have a record of it that they can pull up with the serial.

Well I just got out of the apple store. They ran that battery test on my phone and it said my battery is normal. He said to turn off all location services and push notifications so I'm gonna do that and see what happens. I told him that on my last phone I had the same settings and battery life was like twice as good and he said I might've just been blessed with a crazy good battery.. I'm probably gonn still get a new battery if it's not much better after I turn everything off in the phone.

Well I just got out of the apple store. They ran that battery test on my phone and it said my battery is normal. He said to turn off all location services and push notifications so I'm gonna do that and see what happens. I told him that on my last phone I had the same settings and battery life was like twice as good and he said I might've just been blessed with a crazy good battery.. I'm probably gonn still get a new battery if it's not much better after I turn everything off in the phone.

You might also consider going back and trying to get a different "genius" my 4S was draining at about 1% per minute for a while(obviously something wrong) and the woman told me that it was normal and she attributed my loss of battery life to my use of location services(which even with location services being used 24/7 it should not cause the battery to drain that fast). Went back in the next day and got someone different and they said "wow that's really bad" and gave me a brand new 4S no questions asked. Haven't had problems since!

Well I mean the battery test literally said "normal". I looked at it. I might try again but most likely I'll just get a new battery and be done with it

Well I mean the battery test literally said "normal". I looked at it. I might try again but most likely I'll just get a new battery and be done with it

Oh, my battery test was inconclusive with the first woman because I had just restored it earlier that day to see if that would fix the issue and she said that there wasn't enough data from the test to be conclusive but that my battery life was normal.