What's new

Basic texting question

ccm

Reaction score
Hello,
My wife and I both have a Iphone 6s and have a texting question. When I text my wife, I get a copy of the text on my phone and vice versa. I'm sure this is a configuration problem but need help finding and correcting it. Since we are technology challenged a step by step explanation of the configurations needed would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

When texting someone, the message thread contains both the sent and received text messages sent between the parties involved. It this not happening on you and your wife's iPhones?

Are you sharing?
The iMessages are related to your Apple ID. Therefore, any device that is setup to use your Apple ID is capable of receiving your iMessages. If you have an iPhone, the phone number is also associated with your Apple ID and all devices using the Apple ID can receive iMessages sent to your phone number. This is why iMessages sent to an iPhone number can be received on an iPad.

If the above was the reason, try this:

On each iOS device, go to:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

There, you need to remove your Apple ID (email account) from your wife's phone under the heading "You can be reached by iMessage at:"

iMessage can use a phone number and/or Apple IDs to send/receive messages. All iOS devices that have the same Apple ID under that setting will receive the same Messages.

Sififan57
If I understand your reply correctly, yes, when we send a text to the other, the thread will show the senders text plus the recipients reply.

I have been doing some internet research on this subject and it appears that the problem, at least in part, is that we have a single ITunes account that both of us are using. Also we have our phones configured to use imessaging rather than text messaging. Some people are advising that I get a second ITunes account for my wife and then after configuring her phone for the new account, that I should delete her cloud account and set it up again with her new ITunes ID. Do you think this would resolve our problem? I am concerned about deleting her cloud account. Is there a danger in doing that?

Thanks for all of your help.

Charlie

If her iCloud account is separate from yours, there's no reason to change it. Also, you could send the iMessages by using her iCloud email address if it's different than yours. If you set up a separate Apple ID for her, she can still share your apps and iTunes content through family sharing. The separate ID for your wife would solve your texting problems as right now it's like your texting yourself when you send your wife a text message.