What's new

Unable to download mail

ccm

Reaction score
My wife is having problems downloading mail on her Iphone 6s and Ipad. I have updated the OS to version 10.2.1 but that did not help. I also have the same Iphone and it's working fine. I have compared my mail configurations to those on her phone and they all appear to be the same. The configurations I have compared are under Settings, Mail. She is able to access the internet and receive text messages. Either I have missed something in my configuration comparison or I need to be looking somewhere else.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Please provide more information:
Is it exactly the same email account that doesn't work on her iPhone, or a different one? Which kind of account is it: iCloud, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, ...?
POP or IMAP?

This should help setting up the account correctly:
Mail Settings Lookup - Apple Support
Enter the email address, and it will show information you need for installing the account.

Try removing the account from her iPhone, and reinstalling it, by using the information you get on this link.

Hope that helps.

Having trouble with the same account(s) on both devices? Have they ever worked, or is this a first time setup?

My wife is having problems downloading mail on her Iphone 6s and Ipad. I have updated the OS to version 10.2.1 but that did not help. I also have the same Iphone and it's working fine. I have compared my mail configurations to those on her phone and they all appear to be the same. The configurations I have compared are under Settings, Mail. She is able to access the internet and receive text messages. Either I have missed something in my configuration comparison or I need to be looking somewhere else.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
J.A.
I will do my best to answer your questions.
It appears both the Ipad and Iphone have the same settings
They are Yahoo accounts
Are IMAP
I will attempt to delete her account on her Iphone and reinstalling it.

Also, see my replies to the two other respsonders.

Thanks for taking time to offer your recommendations.

Charlie

Having trouble with the same account(s) on both devices? Have they ever worked, or is this a first time setup?

Dave, yes we are having trouble with both devices and yes they did work for many months.

Thanks for the reply.

Charlie

Dave, yes we are having trouble with both devices and yes they did work for many months.
Charlie
So two devices both trying to access the same account suddenly are not able to access it anymore. If nothing has changed on your end, it sounds to me like this is an issue with the account. May I ask what kind of email account it is? Gmail, for example, or an account provided by an ISP such as RoadRunner? Can you access the account through its webmail access (via a web browser)?

Dave,
The email accounts are Yahoo. I don't understand what you mean by accessing the account through its web access. How do I do that?

Thanks

Charlie

Dave,
The email accounts are Yahoo. I don't understand what you mean by accessing the account through its web access. How do I do that?
Click on the link below:

Yahoo - login

Log in using the address you're having problems with. Once you're logged in you should be able to find the access link for email. I'm not a Yahoo user so I can't get more specific than this. Maybe someone else can help if you have trouble with that part. I see that there have been some security issues with some Yahoo accounts and that Yahoo has taken steps to require the changing of some passwords. I don't know if this would affect the problem email address or not.

Incidentally, Yahoo doesn't support Push Mail. You can select to Fetch manually or set times to fetch on your iPhone or iPad.

Yahoo is down, once more, in parts of the USA and Europe. The problems reported are receiving emails, logging in and reading emails. If you're in one of those areas, where Yahoo is not working, this might be the reason for your problem.

Dave,
I will look at this.

Thanks again
Charlie

Yahoo is down, once more, in parts of the USA and Europe. The problems reported are receiving emails, logging in and reading emails. If you're in one of those areas, where Yahoo is not working, this might be the reason for your problem.

J.A.
This was the first thing I thought of but since I am able to download email with my iphone I figured that wasn't the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Charlie