What's new

Restoring from iphone 4 to iphone 6s

ccm

Reaction score
I will be picking up my new iphone 6s tomorrow and have a few questions:

I am now using a iphone 4 and need to get all of my information from that phone to the new phone.
I have been backing up the iphone 4 via icloud and ITunes. Will there be a problem moving the data
from my iphone 4 to the iphone 6 since they have different operating systems?

My research shows it would be better to restore my information to the new phone via ITunes if I have anything on my phone that was not purchased through Itunes.. Is this correct?

I will be buying the new phone through Verizon. Will they do the actual new phone setup
and transfer of information for me? Since I am technology challenged I am hoping so.

Does Apple have any online tutorials explaining how to set up a new phone and how to move information
from an older phone to a new phone? I could not find any.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

While Verizon can activate your new iPhone, setting up your new iPhone from the backup of your old iPhone has to be done by you. Back up your iPhone 4 to iTunes just before you're ready to set up your new iPhone 6s. Now connect your iPhone 6s to iTunes on your computer and restore it, selecting the iPhone 4 backup when prompted. Everything on the iPhone 4 should be transferred to your new iPhone 6s, including contacts, photos, iTunes content, and app data. Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device - Apple Support

I've deleted the second thread you started on this same topic as our rules only allow one thread for each topic. Also, multiple threads on the same issue can confuse any resulting conversations, making them hard to follow.

Last edited:
It's so much easier to upgrade iPhones! It's even better to see iFans helping each other out