What's new

"Backing up" iPhone within iTunes??

EWyatt

Reaction score
I've been told I'm nuts for not "backing up" my phone in iTunes! Being quite new to this, I didn't know!! Question: when I hook up my iPhone to my PC (with iTunes installed) I understand that it will check for updates, etc., prior to the back-up procedure. Does this mean that I will have to update my iPhone 4 OS to the latest version (4.2??) in order to proceed? Hope not! If not, is the back-up procedure pretty simple after the intial hook-up? Any comments will help. Thanks!
EW

Additionally........ does my first "back-up" procedure take much time (hours vs minutes) or not? I'm thinking the process may backup the entire OS in addition to settings... Thanks.

When you attach your iPhone to iTunes it will tell you an update is available do you want to download now. Say NO. Then proceed to backup/sync your iPhone. The first time it may take up to 5min to an hour, if you have downloaded a lot of music and videos, after that it will be quicker. I am assuming you have already authorized iTunes with your Apple log in info. Yes the first time it backs up everything including the iOS and all settings.

Thanks Pocobear. I see that I can rely on you for great info! Yes, I do have an iTunes account (which I "think" answers your questions about "authorizing iTunes with Apple log-in info", right?). I'm doing this backup tomorrow on a 64 bit Windows 7 system, so the process should be pretty quick.
Thanks again.
EW

The speed is more dependent on the speed of the iPhone than the speed of the computer, unless you have a really slow computer. I have a 3.6gb quad core intel with16gb of mem, win7 64bit and it still takes it's sweet time.