What's new

Backed out of buying the iPhone 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any issues with receiving Visual Voice Mail on IP5, like Sprint had on IP4s? Sprint has had this issue going on for a year now. (please don't reply with instructions on how to fix it - I've tried everything posted on forums, many times.).
I'm deciding if I need to cancel Sprint and go to Verizon with IP5. I just want to make sure I don't pay all that money to get out of Sprint and still have a problem.
Any advice from Sprint or Verizon users with iP5?

Been on Verizon for over 14 years. Currently have 3 iPhones with them. No on has ever had an issue with voice mail on VZW with the iPhone. It is bullet proof in my opinion.

Are there any issues with receiving Visual Voice Mail on IP5, like Sprint had on IP4s? Sprint has had this issue going on for a year now. (please don't reply with instructions on how to fix it - I've tried everything posted on forums, many times.).
I'm deciding if I need to cancel Sprint and go to Verizon with IP5. I just want to make sure I don't pay all that money to get out of Sprint and still have a problem.
Any advice from Sprint or Verizon users with iP5?

The times it's been reported on this forum, it's always been an issue with Verizon...never the phone. And from reading threads on the issue, Verizon always fixes it (especially if you visit a corporate store with the most knowledgeable techs)

hookbill said:
I honestly believe this. I think people who either can't get the iPhone 5 start negative threads so that they don't have to feel so bad that they didn't get the latest and the greatest. I don't personally care why the OP didn't want the iPhone and I think as the thread has gone along negativity has set in to make those who didn't get one feel better or to try to remove the joy and fun for those who did get one.

Well, people can say or think whatever they like. I have a great phone and I'm going to enjoy it despite negative comments.

Maybe it's because to some there is just not enough wow factor, especially if you already have a 4s. I love my white 16 gig 4s, but if I really wanted the 5, I could buy it unlocked for 649.00, that wouldn't break the bank for me. So there goes your theory of people wanting it but not able to get it, lol.

If Apple continues their current development cycle, the iPhone 5S will be available in Sept/Oct of 2013. The form factor will be the same with addtional tweaks on existing hardware and iOS.

I'm not due for an upgrade until June 2013. I'll probably wait for them to tweak any issues with the iPhone 5 and get the 5s. The screen and size are not the biggest additions for me...I would just love the LTE. It's just my opinion (and I may be wrong), but it seems like 3G has suffered with Verizon since they've rolled out LTE (at least on my phone).

It's not going to be a 5S. The S was for Siri. The 5 already has Siri.

Ummm, no it wasn't for Siri. And what about the 3Gs? If you knew the experience of Skull you would not question him!.... LOL!

Last edited:

A brief history of the iPhone naming convention.

iPhone - 1st gen
iPhone 3G - 1st gen - Originally named after the new 3G cellular signal used by AT&T
iPhone 3GS - 2nd gen - S was added much like the S on sports cars. It was Superior.
iPhone 4 - 3rd gen - 4 comes after 3.
iPhone 4S - 4th gen - S did not mean Siri, it was a Superior phone to the 4, just like the 3GS was to the 3G.
iPhone 5 - 5th gen - 5 comes after 4.

The next iPhone will either be called the iPhone 5S OR the "new" iPhone. Personally, I think they will go with the 5S.

Skull One said:

iPhone - 1st gen
iPhone 3G - 1st gen - Originally named after the new 3G cellular signal used by AT&T
iPhone 3GS - 2nd gen - S was added much like the S on sports cars. It was Superior.
iPhone 4 - 3rd gen - 4 comes after 3.
iPhone 4S - 4th gen - S did not mean Siri, it was a Superior phone to the 4, just like the 3GS was to the 3G.

The next iPhone will either be called the iPhone 5S OR the "new" iPhone. Personally, I think they will go with the 5S.

Get it Skull!! Take em up school :)

Skull One said:

Actually from the mouth of Tim Cook the S absolutely stood for Siri.

http://www.redmondpie.com/tim-cook-confirms-that-the-s-in-iphone-4s-stands-for-siri/

Skull One said:
Marketing GIMMICK. It's like any other backcronym out there. They thought it would be cute to say it.

If the CEO says its for siri gonna go ahead and take HIS word it was for siri.

And if I remember correctly Steve Jobs said the "s" in 3gs stood for speed, not superior.

Last edited:
If the CEO says its for siri gonna go ahead and take HIS word it was for siri.

And if I remember correctly Steve Jobs said the "s" in 3gs stood for speed, not superior.

I believe you are 100% correct in regards to what Jobs said on stage at its introduction.

But if you actually read all the marketing that was released for the 3GS, it didn't really say anything about being faster. It was about all the feature that were better. IE it was a superior phone over the 3G.

Skull One said:
I believe you are 100% correct in regards to what Jobs said on stage at its introduction.

But if you actually read all the marketing that was released for the 3GS, it didn't really say anything about being faster. It was about all the feature that were better. IE it was a superior phone over the 3G.

I dont wanna get into a debate on what we'll never know from apple but the 3gs was significantly faster than the 3.

33% faster processor, graphics, twice the ram, support for 7.2 meg HSDPA and improved 3 meg camera.

Thats alot of "speed" upgrades, a significant amount actually.

wingzfan61 said:
I dont wanna get into a debate on what we'll never know from apple but the 3gs was significantly faster than the 3.

33% faster processor, graphics, twice the ram, support for 7.2 meg HSDPA and improved 3 meg camera.

Thats alot of "speed" upgrades, a significant amount actually.

While the truth on this is hard to get to, the bottom line is that apple has not gone to a new generation annually for some time. It would be very strange for the to introduce an iPhone 6 next year given the history and other reasons I will not get into. So more than likely they will have a 5s and s will stand for something super pulled from the CEO's a$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.