What's new

Backed out of buying the iPhone 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunky

Reaction score
Hi, Well ive been reading up on the forums, looking at you tube videos and keeping an open mind about the iphone 5. Today I visited my local 02 shop to move from my 4s to the 5. They have the colour and storage capacity im wanting and i have my money ready to pay. So im stood there playing with the working demo model and it suddenly dawned on me. The black and white display model were dinted and dinged at various places ,and the coating on the antenna band was coming off on both models. A customer who must have bought one earlier at some point was talking to a guru saying they were unhappy at the cosmetic issues. Putting this to the back of my mind im now concentrating on the phone and start to think this is not feeling like a new phone. Im getting an extra row of icons and a slightly faster processor from a slightly thinner model ! Also after reading on other forums apple are starting to tell people who did not buy the iphone 5 from them had to go back to that shop as they would not help ! So probably those upgrading from a dumb down phone or 3gs/iphone 4 will appreciate this more. Just my thoughts and opinion.

I personally love my iPhone 5. This is coming from a person who owned the 4 and the 4S. Probably the biggest seller with me is the 4G speeds I can get off of my iPhone. Along with the A6 processor this thing is unstoppable. I love being able to get on youtube and click on a video and instantly watch it. Living in Erie, PA I am getting 24Mbps download and 5Mbps up on Verizons 4G LTE and I have better service strength (full bars) before I only got about 3 to 4. Living on a College campus I am always getting pissed off because of the slow internet speeds. Now when I really need to get on the internet I just get on my 5. I am a impatient person and this phone helps me deal with that ;)

If you have extra cash laying around and a upgrade i would HIGHLY reccomend getting the 5. Thats just me though.

I reside in the Uk so 4g and LTe are a world away unfortunately.

The demo phones do take some stick but on balance they have only been up to use since the 21st of September.

3 days of wear and tear !

Im not saying don't buy it just how i felt.

One guy went into a store on launch day and took a key to the back panel just to see how easily it scratched and then took a picture of it (I think a key would pretty much scratch anything). Like the previous poster said, folks are not careful with demo units and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the damage was intentional (trying to test durability). From the 4S to the 5 there are a few improvements, I came from the 4 so there were quite a few improvements for me. People are reporting cosmetic issues with the phone out of the box but considering there were over 5 million sold in the first 3 days (not that all have them yet) I believe the number is quite small. I received mine on launch day and it is perfect.

I was a total android fan .. until I bought the iP5. It's gorgeous and works FASST. The only issue I had with it was when typing .. the letters and numbers closest to the edge were stubborn to respond .. only to discover [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]it was the case causing the problem, not the fault of the phone. [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When I put the phone in my other case, the hardshell/kickback I noticed the edge of the case didn't cover as much of the phone and I have no problem typing. [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

The small features can add up to one big plus to upgrade IMO. As far as durability from getting dings and scratches .. that is on you .. the kind of care that you give it. Put it in a good case and it should remain like new.
[/FONT]

Have no idea if this is relevant or not but Foxconn (place in china that makes all these) had a multiple thousand employee riot the other day. With all the complaints on build quality I wonder if this may have had something to do with it (disgruntled employees building them before launch).

Sounds like its a bit fragile! I just upgraded into a 4s at a the new discount price! That gives me a 30 day window to decide what a want to do! I can always take the 4s back within the 30 days and leap into the 5! Much of my decision will be based on reviews from this Forum! I hear mixed reviews so far! Other than a little faster and a little bigger, I am not WOWED with the 5! Am I missing something? Thanks for the feedback-:)

If you're in an LTE area, your data will be significantly faster. That's the biggest draw to me. The 4" was only the icing on the cake. Those were the only two things on my wish list.

Already been touted the iphone 6 will be out by end of 2013, Apparently the 5 comes with early buy app for it - now thats what i call future sales confidence lol!

I thought it was a known that the iPhone 6 would be out by 2013? Since they do yearly releases. Of course I may have just been missing the sarcasm.

Already been touted the iphone 6 will be out by end of 2013, Apparently the 5 comes with early buy app for it - now thats what i call future sales confidence lol!

Who is touting this? If anything Apple keeps things pretty much under wraps. Everyone thought the 4s would be the 5. Surprise.

If Apple continues their current development cycle, the iPhone 5S will be available in Sept/Oct of 2013. The form factor will be the same with addtional tweaks on existing hardware and iOS.

Skull One said:
If Apple continues their current development cycle, the iPhone 5S will be available in Sept/Oct of 2013. The form factor will be the same with addtional tweaks on existing hardware and iOS.

Is it too early to start a predict the features of the next iPhone thread?

I'm guessing even faster processor, 4core video on the 22nm assembly. Better battery life. And SIRI will tie into services so you can order and pay for movies directly through Siri.

The next one after that will be oled display printed on liquidmetal and even thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.