What's new

Are my issues hardware or software related?

Alexz

Reaction score
iPhone 4 Verizon CDMA 5.1.1 - Cydia jailbreak using redsn0w 9.10b4 - replaced glass was something cheap from eBay (oops)

I jailbroke and replaced the front/back glass assemblies on the same day. Now that my phone is screwey, I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue. This is what's wrong:

1. No audio during self-recorded video playback, Facetime and Tango. Audio seems to work properly in every other situation.
2. Speakerphone microphone not working. When I click to speakerphone, I can hear them but they can't hear me. Microphone works properly for voice memos and phone calls not using speakerphone.
3. Proximity sensor does not work. Phone will not (or will RARELY) black screen while in use.
4. Wifi signal is weak. You need to have the phone right up next to the router to pick up wifi and connect to wifi.

I have factory restored this phone, re-jailbroke it, and factory restored it a billion times and nothing seems to fix these problems. Any ideas? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point!

Most of the issues sound like software issues, but if you messed something up while you were replacing the screen it could be hardware related as well.

I use cheap replacement screens from Hong Kong for repairing my friends phones all the time(around $23) and have never experienced any of the issues you list.

SOLVED: It did end up being hardware. I had replaced the screen with a cheap one from eBay and when I switched it back to Apple front and back glass, ALL 4 ISSUES WERE COMPLETELY RESOLVED. Weird. But it worked! =) Hope this will help others.

Your problem is with the software. Redsn0w isn't a good site to jailbreak your device from. What you need to do is: Restore your device, go to greenpois0n.com, download absinthe 5.1.1, follow the instructions and jailbreak it that way. It will work I promise.

Your problem is with the software. Redsn0w isn't a good site to jailbreak your device from. What you need to do is: Restore your device, go to greenpois0n.com, download absinthe 5.1.1, follow the instructions and jailbreak it that way. It will work I promise.

Redsn0w and Absinthe use the exact same process and produce the same end-result. The tool the OP is using to jailbreak is not the issue.