What's new

Archive vs Trash

jen2440

Reaction score
It appeares that when I went to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 I no longer "trashed" messages, but "archived" them. At least that's what I assumed. And sure enough, when I archived a message it would show up in the trash bin.

Now however, since going to 8.1.2, when I trash a message it disappears altogether. Checking both Trash and Gmail Trash, it's not in either. Nothing shows up in these bins any more. It's important to me as I sometimes find I want the email back.

What am I. Missing?

I use Yahoo mail, not Gmail and any mail I've recently deleted shows up in my trash bin.

I found this support page that may help. iOS 8 mail app only archives even when set to d... Apple Support Communities

Look near the end of the thread.

Thanks scifan. I went to the Aussierosso post, checked my settings, and they were already set the way that was recommended. And now it appears I have another problem. When I got the email notification that you had replied to my post I left Mail and went to the iPhone forum. When I returned to mail your email was gone. Don't understand what's going on and still not sure I understand the difference between archived and trashed mail, even if it was working correctly.

Archived should keep it on the iPhone or on the server, while Trash will remove the email after a certain amount of time.

Take a look at your acount's settings, in Advanced. What is enabled there for Mailbox Behaviours: On My iPhone, or On The Server (and which folder) for Deleted Mailbox and Archive Mailbox?

Is it possible to set the emails to delete after being read?
As far as I know not on the iPhone. If it disappeared, there must be something wrong with the settings of the email account on the server, or jen deleted the message inadvertently without noticing.

Last edited:
Archived should keep it on the iPhone or on the server, while Trash will remove the email after a certain amount of time.

Take a look at your acount's settings, in Advanced. What is enabled there for Mailbox Behaviours: On My iPhone, or On The Server (and which folder) for Deleted Mailbox and Archive Mailbox?

In my mail advanced settings:
MAILBOX BEHAVIOR:
Deleted Mailbox = Trash
Archive Mailbox = All Mail
MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO:
Archive Mailbox is checked
INCOMMING SETTINGS:
Use SSL is On
CLICKING ON DELETED MAILBOX:
On My iPhone = Trash
On the Server = Trash
CLICKING ON ARCHIVE MAILBOX:
On My iPhone = Archive
On the Server = All Mail

Thanks for all the help.

Mark your discarded messages into trash instead of archive in the check box.