What's new

Mail not syncing between devices

auntyj

Reaction score
I have an iPad Pro, an iPad mini and an iPhone SE, all running IOS 10.3.2. The Pro and the iphone were purchased within the last 12 months. The Pro is my main device.
I constantly have a problem with the mail app. Whenever I check the mail on the iPhone or the mini, I find messages in the inbox that I've already deleted on the Pro, even when all devices are currently at home on the same wifi. The app won't allow me to delete these messages again, and gives me the error message that, "The message could not be moved to the trash."
If I open and delete a new message on the iPhone or the mini, I then have the same problem on the Pro.
The only way to fix it is to turn off the mail in settings and then restart the device.
All my settings are identical to what they were when I had an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S. I was using the 4S with IOS 10, but I can't remember if I had the issue with that phone, or if it started with the new phone.
The iPhone also randomly asks me to re-enter my password for Hotmail in the settings as well, quite often.
Any suggestions please?
I'm assuming it's probably a software issue, but I'll post in the iPhone SE forum as well.

Your second thread has been removed. One thread about one problem is enough, a second one would be confusing. It’s more likely that you get the solution to your issue when all answers are in one thread only. So please keep the discussion of this problem to this thread.

If it’s a problem with Hotmail only:
I’ve been asked for my password for the account a few times recently. Most of the time, I ignore the request, and the account works as if nothing had happened before.
The issue that I couldn’t remove an email, as you’ve described it, has happened to me as well, also in Outlook, but just once, and never again.
I think this is more a problem with Hotmail/Outlook, not with iOS 10 or the device.
If possible, check the settings of the account online, make sure it allows removing emails on your devices. I’m referring to a POP setting, which also affects IMAP, it seems.

Is there another account which doesn’t work as expected?

Last edited:
3rd party email clients likely have this issue ( Hotmail, Yahoo) not related to iOS or iCloud sync. If your issue was iCloud mail, then I'd consider linking it to the OS.

Unfortunately, those 3rd party email clients, aren't in kahoots with Apple, so while they work and sync most of the time, they're not guaranteed and that's based on their API builds.

In my personal experience Hotmail is just a junk email client to begin with and always causes problems and undesired UX. I use Gmail and iCloud exclusively now. No syncing issues to report.

Last edited:
Sometimes, regardless of settings, you may have to start the mail app and let it sync with the third party mail servers to clear these and it may take a minute or two.

I never have a problem with syncing emails etc, and have no idea about POP or IMAP settings.
I have always had an google/gmail email address.

For me it just seems to function whatever day of the week it is.
However l realise for someone with lots of contacts, changing ones email address might not be so easy.