What's new

Syncing Mac Mail rules with iPhone

pgreen822

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife has a work email account for her home-based business. We just started getting a lot of spam. The domain host applied a filter on the email so that it shows "***SPAM*** in the subject line. I set up a rule in my Mac Mail to move any messages that have that in the subject line to go right to the trash.

The mail on my iPhone 7 is ignoring this rule, so the spam still shows up in my inbox on my iPhone (even though it's in my trash on my Mac. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the rule to carry over or set up a rule on my iPhone?

Thanks,

Pat

I haven't been able to find a way of actually filtering spam in emails on an iPhone. All you can do is click on Move to Junk such emails so that the iPhone "learns" which to automatically put in the Junk folder.

There's not really a setting that forces the iPhone to sync your Mac preferences.

If an iCloud account doesn't remove spam mails automatically, report them as junk: tap the flag at the bottom of the email, and select "Move to Junk":
IMG_9487.JPG

Emails from the same sender will be blocked automatically.

If it's possible to access the email account online - via browser - login, and take a look at your settings. Most of the accounts allow blocking spam there, which should sync to your iPhone.

If that's not possible, and the email account you're using is also available via app, such as Gmail, try using the app for reading emails.