Apples Lightning Adaptor

Discussion in 'iPhone 5 Accessories' started by Poisonivy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Skull One

Skull One Super Moderator Staff Member

There is no maybe. And yes, I agree you are not familiar with anything you have stated so far.

I never said that 3rd party items would never work. I said it isn't in their best interest to invest the reverse engineering time to create the chip that is needed. Apple has already publicly stated they will license the chip design to be used in 3rd party devices. I believe they are scheduled to do final review and approval for those products in Nov of 2012. Considering the timeline needed to get the proper designs ready and manufacturing ramped up, that puts the timeline at a whopping 8 weeks from introduction to approval. That is actually a very quick timeline for the manufacturing world since most products take anywhere from 3 months to a year to be mass produced.

Oh and Apple is absolutely protecting the customer. The cable is designed to go in either direction. Which means without the chip you would have a hot +5 Volt 1 amp pin possibly connect to a pin that is the ground. Which would cause the device to FAIL instantly. Seems to me Apple got it right.

2. hookbill

hookbill Active Member

I have a lightning to USB adapter on my desk right now that I bought from someone off of ebay. With shipping prices was about the same, maybe a $1.00 cheaper.

It looks exactly like the one Apple makes and it is even in one of those roller things. I don't have a use for it so I haven't tried it. The only reason I bought it was because I thought Apple's adapters would get here weeks later and I wanted at least one extra. Wonder if it's any good? I know, try it and find out. I will One of these days.

3. rlee131

rlee131 New Member

Just received the Genuine apple adapter. It is junk. You cannot use it while the phone is in its case. The little pin that inserts into the phone is too short. So if you have plans on using an adapter and do not want to remove the phone from a case forget it. My case is not thick it is rather standard. It's a Speck candy shell

4. thewitt

thewitt Member

Sounds like a problem with the case design, not the adapter.

5. Skull One

Skull One Super Moderator Staff Member

No, it's unfortunately a design issue from Apple. One they keep repeating when it comes to cases.

6. thewitt

thewitt Member

My case works fine.

7. rlee131

rlee131 New Member

I have seen four other cases all designed the same. They are designed to insert the small pin not the 30 pin. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has found a case that has the inlet port wide enough to accept the 30 pin

8. EV2

EV2 New Member

Works fine with me Otterbox Defender.

9. perezr10

perezr10 Member

Yeah, there's lots of them. Here is my bumper with an open bottom that'll work with the adapter if I needed it too Although I ordered the adapter cable because its much more flexible. No pun intended.

Wow, this pic reminds me why I never use my iPad camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  10. rlee131

rlee131 New Member

Thank you very much for the photo and info. Like I had said I looked a several case and all were the same. But obviously, there are now hundreds if not thousands of cases available. Choices, choices, choices. Let the buyer beware.
    Thank you

11. ez0922

ez0922 New Member

Where did you get this case? Thanks!

12. madcapjim

madcapjim New Member

I'm using the Ringke slim case now and mine works fine. Was using a barely there case and had no problem with that one. Have a Grove case on order so I'll report back once I get it.

13. jhighers

jhighers New Member

I'm using a case called fish bone and have not had any issues at all.

14. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

i need to get me a couple, at least 2 30 pin to lightening adapters so i can at least throw on inside the car and in my bag. and i can leave my original cable at home

15. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Administrator Staff Member

thats what i did,its been worth every penny already,the amount of times i go out without much charge on my phone.