What's new

Apples Lightning Adaptor

Maybe you are correct. And No, I am not familiar with them, at all.

But, the idea that 3rd party will not work, ever, is silly. At some point in the next 6 months, There will be 3rd party available. I find it entertaining why they make a big deal about it now?

Which side do you want to look at it from? - "Well, Apple is protecting the consumer." or "Lets scare everyone to secure sales for at least 6 months".

I believe these both to be possibilities, but being the richest company on the planet you must be good at one thing...good at making money

There is no maybe. And yes, I agree you are not familiar with anything you have stated so far.

I never said that 3rd party items would never work. I said it isn't in their best interest to invest the reverse engineering time to create the chip that is needed. Apple has already publicly stated they will license the chip design to be used in 3rd party devices. I believe they are scheduled to do final review and approval for those products in Nov of 2012. Considering the timeline needed to get the proper designs ready and manufacturing ramped up, that puts the timeline at a whopping 8 weeks from introduction to approval. That is actually a very quick timeline for the manufacturing world since most products take anywhere from 3 months to a year to be mass produced.

Oh and Apple is absolutely protecting the customer. The cable is designed to go in either direction. Which means without the chip you would have a hot +5 Volt 1 amp pin possibly connect to a pin that is the ground. Which would cause the device to FAIL instantly. Seems to me Apple got it right.

I have a lightning to USB adapter on my desk right now that I bought from someone off of ebay. With shipping prices was about the same, maybe a $1.00 cheaper.

It looks exactly like the one Apple makes and it is even in one of those roller things. I don't have a use for it so I haven't tried it. The only reason I bought it was because I thought Apple's adapters would get here weeks later and I wanted at least one extra. Wonder if it's any good? I know, try it and find out. I will One of these days.

scifiguy69 said:
How can 3rd party adapters not work? How can a man made object NOT be re- man made? Not only that, in the same factories the real ones come out of. Apple doesnt own a rare precious metal that make up a chip. Anything can be re-made. There are identical copies of the iPhone 5 already hitting the market. EXACT COPIES. Ive seen them in Hong Kong.

People, wake up. We can make exact copies of animals. Cloning. It exists. Please dont expect me to believe a plastic adapter cant be duplicated.

I believe its an Apple scare tactic. Amazon and eBay sellers jumped on board and taking pre-orders for 1/3 of the price. it took 7 days after this news for the "3rd party adapters dont work" news to hit the web. Im sure Apple is using this scare tactic to ensure they can persuade the public to cancel orders and pay full price for these things.

Also, why would Apple wait so long on such a massive product to not supply these adapters last month? Maybe to sneak in the sales for a sexy 4th quarter report? Possible.

I dont trust a 1 trillion dollar company. Their technology is brilliant and they make that much money due to thier products, but also in making the world thier *BLEEP*. We do whatever they say.

"Dont buy 3rd party?? Ok Apple, whatever you say. Take more of my money". I applaud them

Theres a chip in the adapter....

Just received the Genuine apple adapter. It is junk. You cannot use it while the phone is in its case. The little pin that inserts into the phone is too short. So if you have plans on using an adapter and do not want to remove the phone from a case forget it. My case is not thick it is rather standard. It's a Speck candy shell

Sounds like a problem with the case design, not the adapter.

No, it's unfortunately a design issue from Apple. One they keep repeating when it comes to cases.

thewitt said:
Sounds like a problem with the case design, not the adapter.

I have seen four other cases all designed the same. They are designed to insert the small pin not the 30 pin. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has found a case that has the inlet port wide enough to accept the 30 pin

rlee131 said:
I have seen four other cases all designed the same. They are designed to insert the small pin not the 30 pin. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has found a case that has the inlet port wide enough to accept the 30 pin

Yeah, there's lots of them. Here is my bumper with an open bottom that'll work with the adapter if I needed it too Although I ordered the adapter cable because its much more flexible. No pun intended.

Wow, this pic reminds me why I never use my iPad camera.

Attachments

• $image-3113136214.jpg
    $image-3113136214.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Thank you very much for the photo and info. Like I had said I looked a several case and all were the same. But obviously, there are now hundreds if not thousands of cases available. Choices, choices, choices. Let the buyer beware.
Thank you

thewitt said:
My case works fine.

I'm using the Ringke slim case now and mine works fine. Was using a barely there case and had no problem with that one. Have a Grove case on order so I'll report back once I get it.

I'm using a case called fish bone and have not had any issues at all.

i need to get me a couple, at least 2 30 pin to lightening adapters so i can at least throw on inside the car and in my bag. and i can leave my original cable at home

i need to get me a couple, at least 2 30 pin to lightening adapters so i can at least throw on inside the car and in my bag. and i can leave my original cable at home
thats what i did,its been worth every penny already,the amount of times i go out without much charge on my phone.