What's new

Apples Lightning Adaptor

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
when i ordered my iphone5 this morning i was told by the sales person that i needed to buy the Lightning Adaptor in order to charge my iphone in the car,however as was pointed out to me by another moderator i dont actually need it so i cancelled it,just a heads up on that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't understand why they'd say you need the Lightning to 30pin adapter when you're already using a 12v cig plug to USB adapter. The USB plug on the lightning is the same as the 30 pin. Only difference is the Lightning is DIGITAL ONLY... and won't transmit analog audio and such.

exactly and thank you for pointing that to me earlier,that saved me £30,hope that helps members too.

Just a heads up, I found a guy online selling this adapter on ebay. Its legit. And it DOES work with your iphone5. Just got back from china where they are produced and picked one up off the assembly belt, No issues. Apple I guess, is greedy and wants everyone to buy their adapters at full price. Anyway, I am not affiliated with anyone, just know that people need this adapter. The ebay seller is bp21golf and he has a funny listing. LOVE MY IPHONE 5!!!!

If you don't have a USB in your car you do need something in your car to power the charger. I got one that plugs in for 5 bucks that has two USB adapters. And I bought a couple of USB to Lightning adapters so I could have one in spots where I needed it.

The 30 pin adapter I'm not buying. I'd like a nice dock for my bedside and I'm betting someone will make one. Right now my dock is a piece of leather that tucks into a slot and you just place your phone there. If it needs charging I turn it upside down and use one of my adapters. For now.

I received the Lightning cord from Apple this am. I bought the car adapter (Belkin 2.1) when I bought my phone on launch day from a Verizon corporate store. Now I cam keep a cord and the adapter in my car. YAY

$IMG_2060.jpg$IMG_2054.jpg$IMG_2057.jpg

This set up works. I have charged my phone to maximum in my car.

Last edited:
I got a dual USB connector and bought the adapter for the car. $23.00. Plug in USB was only $5.00. How much for that fancy Belkin thing?

Who else are some good ebay sellers with the adapters and cord adapters? Thanks

Edit: Really like the 30 pin to 8 pin cords

Both the adapter and cord contain chips. They are not available from third parties with full functionality.

I would be extremely concerned about using a third party cable as its an adaptive cable with a custom IC that is not going to be available from any third party.

The adapter uses a standard DAC and could be reverse engineered. The cable needs a chip available from only one source and not likely to be reverse engineered.

Verizon sold the adapters in their stores. It works just fine. I would not use ebay for the cords when you can buy them directly from Apple much cheaper and have it in a week from the order. What I did.

How can 3rd party adapters not work? How can a man made object NOT be re- man made? Not only that, in the same factories the real ones come out of. Apple doesnt own a rare precious metal that make up a chip. Anything can be re-made. There are identical copies of the iPhone 5 already hitting the market. EXACT COPIES. Ive seen them in Hong Kong.

People, wake up. We can make exact copies of animals. Cloning. It exists. Please dont expect me to believe a plastic adapter cant be duplicated.

I believe its an Apple scare tactic. Amazon and eBay sellers jumped on board and taking pre-orders for 1/3 of the price. it took 7 days after this news for the "3rd party adapters dont work" news to hit the web. Im sure Apple is using this scare tactic to ensure they can persuade the public to cancel orders and pay full price for these things.

Also, why would Apple wait so long on such a massive product to not supply these adapters last month? Maybe to sneak in the sales for a sexy 4th quarter report? Possible.

I dont trust a 1 trillion dollar company. Their technology is brilliant and they make that much money due to thier products, but also in making the world thier *BLEEP*. We do whatever they say.

"Dont buy 3rd party?? Ok Apple, whatever you say. Take more of my money". I applaud them

Theres a chip in the adapter....

Last edited by a moderator:
The cord contains a custom semiconductor chip designed by Apple and manufactured by a company who will not sell them to this parties.

If you think this can be "cloned" in a few weeks, you are clearly not familiar with how semiconductors are manufactured.

How can 3rd party adapters not work? How can a man made object NOT be re- man made? Not only that, in the same factories the real ones come out of. Apple doesnt own a rare precious metal that make up a chip. Anything can be re-made.

You are correct, they don't own a special material. They just own the legal patents that prevent someone from legally reproducing the item. And since the US and European nations still make up the largest market for Apple and the fact that both areas enforce patents, it isn't worth the time or money to reverse engineer and produce knock offs.

There are identical copies of the iPhone 5 already hitting the market. EXACT COPIES. Ive seen them in Hong Kong.

That is a lie. No ifs, ands or buts. You couldn't prove that on your best day. The A6 processor hasn't been copied by anyone.

People, wake up. We can make exact copies of animals. Cloning. It exists. Please dont expect me to believe a plastic adapter cant be duplicated.

There is a chip inside that plastic adapter. That chip is the issue. Oh and cloning animals is a really, really bad example. Most clones die due to a genetic defect introduced during the cloning process.

I believe its an Apple scare tactic. Amazon and eBay sellers jumped on board and taking pre-orders for 1/3 of the price. it took 7 days after this news for the "3rd party adapters dont work" news to hit the web. Im sure Apple is using this scare tactic to ensure they can persuade the public to cancel orders and pay full price for these things.

That is incorrect on more levels that I can type up. Apple created the technology. Apple filed for the proper patents. Apple gets to reap the benefit. The 3rd party knocks offs, hedged their bets that they could adapt quickly and the failed. They are at fault, not Apple.

Also, why would Apple wait so long on such a massive product to not supply these adapters last month? Maybe to sneak in the sales for a sexy 4th quarter report? Possible.

You do realize their fourth quarter ended in September? Those adapters won't even have a remote impact on the 4th quarter reports. Now they will impact their 1st quarter report in Jan 2013.

I dont trust a 1 trillion dollar company. Their technology is brilliant and they make that much money due to thier products, but also in making the world thier *BLEEP*. We do whatever they say.

No. You buying the product makes you the sheep if you wish to use that very poor train of thought.

"Dont buy 3rd party?? Ok Apple, whatever you say. Take more of my money". I applaud them

Apple doesn't care if you buy 3rd party items. If they did, they would never allow a company to license their technology to work with Apple products.

Theres a chip in the adapter....

The only thing that you have typed that is 100% factual. Shame the rest of the post wasn't up to the standard of that last sentence.

Maybe you are correct. And No, I am not familiar with them, at all.

But, the idea that 3rd party will not work, ever, is silly. At some point in the next 6 months, There will be 3rd party available. I find it entertaining why they make a big deal about it now?

Which side do you want to look at it from? - "Well, Apple is protecting the consumer." or "Lets scare everyone to secure sales for at least 6 months".

I believe these both to be possibilities, but being the richest company on the planet you must be good at one thing...good at making money