What's new

Apple wants to turn off iPhone cameras

Was just chatting with my husband about this and he suggested that perhaps videos of these events could later be purchased from iTunes! LOL!

I highly doubt you could purchase a video like this on iTunes. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibEMtN-Dig&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪D.C. Police abuse homeless man in a wheelchair‬‏[/ame]

What a great idea Apple has got! Cops could just put these transmitters on their cruisers and if they kill someone, accidentally, they could be 100% certain it wasn't caught on camera. Oh of course it won't be worded as evil sounding as this, they'll just tell you it's for your own good and safety.

The whole idea here is not copyright. It's Pandora's box.

There is something called 'for greater good', a concept which exists in free and open society. It's for greater good to be able to shoot with your phone on events and such, imagine something interesting happening on an event, such as something like in video above. It is for greater good for people to see that and do something about it. Rights of copyright holder stop when your and my rights start.

If apple has spend big cash $$$$ to get left and right world patent for this technology, you could be sure that it will implement it. It's big money, those transmitters would cost a lot, and be cheap to produce, which mean great profit. Government could require all concert halls and stations to buy those transmitters, and mandate all devices be compatible with Apple's technology. That's a lot of money on that one patent. One thing I know if it's a lot of money that means that it's going to be implemented. UNLESS we have to say something about it.

Evil happens when good and well meaning people like you and me do nothing. Never mind the pacifiers that say it's all right, nothing bad is going to happen -- just keep grazing the grass you going to the slaughter house soon, sheep.

Last edited:
Finally, this is for a PATENT. A PATENT does not mean it is going to be implemented. A patent simply means they are registering the means and technology so if someone else attempts the same thing, which they would, Apple owns the rights to the technology if it is close to their own. It is technological evolution.

I understand your point, but I don't think places like China or Libya or Sudan, etc, are going to be too concerned with violating a patent when they try and suppress digital/video footage being taken of their beatdowns, or of corrupt cops blanketing an area with an iPhone-jamming signal before they beat a defenseless bystander. I think you see the ominous possibilities.

Last edited:
I not to worried about a patent filing but if it did go to market that would be a huge bummer... :(

I don't have a problem with it. Is it any different from concert organizers saying "No Camera's Allowed". I've been to performances where they literally search everyone with metal detectors to prevent camera's from getting in. I took a tour of Fedex one time and they confiscated all phones and handed them back when you were done. It's their event, they can do what they want. If you don't like it, don't go.

I understand that, I respect that. It's the precedent that concerns me.

Another money raising aspect is at venues you would perhaps have to Pay to have your camera allowed to film 'in order to preserve copywrit.

I acted as the official video camera at a family wedding, had to get a licence to cover performing arts because of the hymns - spread the word but not the music lol!

How about those 'apples'?

CP