What's new

Apple Special Event going on today!

The prices are up and I'm in shock :(

Oh oh. This doesn't sound good.

Are they much higher than U.S. prices after conversion?

The GBP has taken some hammering lately, and predictions are that it has not reached the ground floor yet. I did a bit of figuring out on the prices of the AirPods. If we were to buy them in the UK, using a Canadian credit card, we would pay about $11 less than in the Canadian store. That's a measure of how much the currency has crashed since the prices were set. Apple have probably gone with predictions that the GBP will be close to parity with the USD by the end of the year. Already it's hovering around the USD1.20 and CAD1.60. While these are not the lowest numbers ever, they are pretty close. Long term outlook is even more dreary, with one analyst claiming that the GBP could hit USD0.59 in around 8 years.

One important item of note in today's presentation is that Apple has finally abandoned the MagSafe connector. Not one of their current lineup still uses it.

Edit: The 13" MacBook Air that remains in the lineup still uses the MagSafe connector.

Last edited:
Not too amused to see the disappearance of HDMI but I suppose there's always AirPlay.

In some ways, I can understand Apple getting rid of it. The standard keeps changing and putting perfectly good hardware into obsolescence.

There are four Thunderbolt 3 ports, any one of which can be used for charging and other functions. They are all USB C compatible.

I was reading a report about USB-C cables and poor quality from some suppliers. Didn't think it was relevant to us, hope l can find it again.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

The solution for now would be to only buy Apple cables and not those from a third party seller.

In my ignorance I was not aware that Apple Macs had connections etc. It was only while watching a little of the show from yesterday that l heard mention of 3 USB-C connections. Think it was on the new Mac and thought people might start buying these possibly unsafe cables.
But as you say, buy from Apple to be safe.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

In my ignorance I was not aware that Apple Macs had connections etc. It was only while watching a little of the show from yesterday that l heard mention of 3 USB-C connections. Think it was on the new Mac and thought people might start buying these possibly unsafe cables.
But as you say, buy from Apple to be safe.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.
Apple's own cables and any third party cables sold by them in their stores are all tested and certified as fully compatible with Apple devices.