What's new

Apple Maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, Mom. I still think it was funny.

Would agree with Moderator, Horsehaulin here, regarding the use of your words of profanity. Please refrain from the use of profanity in your posts. May be funny at the little boys table, but not here in the forum.

Please respect our Forum and our Rules.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Sorry, Mom. I still think it was funny.

You know what your problem is? You never learned how to be respectful to other people. 74 years old and acting like a child.

You could be my older brother, but not my dad. So I have no problem telling you to grow up and be respectful, specially to the mods who work so hard to make this a great forum.

You know what your problem is? You never learned how to be respectful to other people. 74 years old and acting like a child.

You could be my older brother, but not my dad. So I have no problem telling you to grow up and be respectful, specially to the mods who work so hard to make this a great forum.

Thank you, I haven't worked hard yet, but I want to do my best here.

As for the reply, well I deal with all kinds as the operations manager of my dads towing business and this guy is not a bother.

Enjoy.

I would say, Apple Maps has no traffic information. It didn't have Street View. It got a lot of locations wrong. Huge chunks of land, especially in areas other than the US.

I would say, Apple Maps has no traffic information. It didn't have Street View. It got a lot of locations wrong. Huge chunks of land, especially in areas other than the US.

It may have issues else where...but today I really had a need to use the turn by turn navigation..because of the area outside St.Louis and with a bunch of streets I had never been on before...so I thought I would just see if it got me lost..if I deliberately took a wrong exit..My to my surprise..it worked flawlessly...and even noted I was on a roundabout...and which way to go..When I got to my location 25 miles from where I started going over 3 different interstates 2 frontage rounds and into a subdivision...Siri never missed a beat..or street..

I know this won't help those who are having issues..but...I honestly think when everything gets sorted out...those who don't like it...should give it another look...The accuracy...which was down to a couple feet.. was simply phenomenal on 4g...not LTE since I was on my 4s..It was the best I have used to date for a cell phone... and that includes my Co-Pilot app which was $10.00 for my I-phone version...and $30.00 for my Android version..

All I can say...is give it time...

Mac

I say apple maps is a bigger train wreck than Obamas presidency.

I decided to put it to a test and much to my, pleasure it worked fine.
You're just lucky. I gave Apple Maps another chance today after upgrading to 6.0.1, and asked it to direct me to my local post office on the Gold Coast. It was two streets off. Lucky I knew where it was and was able to get the rest of the way myself.

Another maps issue I noticed the other day: I was sitting outside Oporto in my local shopping centre, so I asked Siri where my nearest Oporto was. She opened a map that showed one 62 kilometers away... while I looked dumbfounded at the store in front of me. And yes, she knew my current location correctly.

These are just but two examples of why maps for me has been a massive disappointment. Google does both examples above 100% correctly.

Not to mention half the map detail at the same zoom level as iOS 5 maps.

I must admit I donot use the Apple maps for that function nor Siri. I use "around me" when traveling which works all the time Regards maps again I used Metro view gps on my iphone 5 on my last holiday in October to Victoria as I have found it to be the most accurate even compared to the old google maps. I tested the new maps point to point and driving was fine however it does not offer the features I needed that Metroview did. I suggest give it time and a lot of issues will be corrected. Use alternatives as mentioned above Metroview also found points of interests with out issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest give it time and a lot of issues will be corrected
I know, and we keep hearing that from lots of people. The issue for me is, that it wasn't broken in the first place. Apple purposely destroyed that working functionality just to introduce their own inferior version. It's unacceptable. Yes, it'll get better in time, but before iOS6 I didn't have to wait for time to catch up -- it already worked. Sigh.

I know, and we keep hearing that from lots of people. The issue for me is, that it wasn't broken in the first place. Apple purposely destroyed that working functionality just to introduce their own inferior version. It's unacceptable. Yes, it'll get better in time, but before iOS6 I didn't have to wait for time to catch up -- it already worked. Sigh.

A brief history of why you should be angry at Google instead of Apple. Because directing anger at the wrong people seems rather silly.

Apple approached Google to use the current Android Maps version in iOS 5. Google agreed under very strict conditions that Google be allowed to collect a great deal of data on each user. Apple was put up against a wall. Allow Google to invade your personal privacy or turn them down. They choose to protect your privacy. So they wrote their own app. And the only way to finish it quickly was to release it with the ability to be updated without modifying the app. Hence the crowd sourced updating the are allowing.

BTW Apple's version uses vector based graphics. Which means it will save you money over Google maps since zooming doesn't require a redownload of the data.

So Apple did the best they could given the situation with trying to protect your privacy.

directing anger at the wrong people seems rather silly.
I direct my anger at whoever removed the functionality on a device that I paid good money for. Privacy issues don't concern me, and Apple had no right to be my bodyguard here. I'm an adult who can make my own choices about what I share and what I don't. I liked Google's maps, and it was a major selling point for me. Now they've removed it... almost like a bait-and-switch tactic.

Besides, their concern about privacy is probably not true at all, because Apple removed an app from their store that brought the Google map imagery back into Apple's map app. As such, there was no privacy risk that you speak of, as this other app just used the Google imagery alone. They are just actively removing everything to do with Google that they can.

Allow Google to invade your personal privacy or turn them down.
That should have been the user's choice, not Apple's. This is why Apple gets such a bad rap about being Big Brother these days... something they so eloquently avoided with their famous TV ad years ago.

Last edited:
I direct my anger at whoever removed the functionality on a device that I paid good money for. Privacy issues don't concern me, and Apple had no right to be my bodyguard here. I'm an adult who can make my own choices about what I share and what I don't. I liked Google's maps, and it was a major selling point for me. Now they've removed it... almost like a bait-and-switch tactic.

Besides, their concern about privacy is probably not true at all, because Apple removed an app from their store that brought the Google map imagery back into Apple's map app. As such, there was no privacy risk that you speak of, as this other app just used the Google imagery alone. They are just actively removing everything to do with Google that they can.

Your ignorance on the subject mater is clouding your ability to make a rational argument.

Simply put you would not be given a choice on the data Google collected.

Apple removed the map app because it broke the law.

You really need to do some research on this because your assumptions are not based on any facts.

Simply put you would not be given a choice on the data Google collected.
The choice I speak of is that I could use the iPhone or go with a competitor.

Apple removed the map app because it broke the law.
This is the first I've heard of this. In that case, it's a whole different kettle of fish.

You really need to do some research on this because your assumptions are not based on any facts.
I was just following the conversation in this thread without checking anything else, yes. Obviously I'm not fully in the picture.

Hey skull what is the law google broke by app. I'm not asking to argue but to inform myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.