What's new

Apple Maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azonie

Reaction score
I am not sure what all the complaints about new Maps is as the Turn by Turn on iPhone 5 works great.

Assume this does NOT use any of my data??

I will have to agree when I opened maps new app here in Australia it had kept my last directions. I decided to put it to a test and much to my, pleasure it worked fine. We don't have turn by turn yet here however the instructions were spot on. One does not deny there are issues but at the end of the day the new mapping system has only been released for just over a week. Give Apple time and I am sure it will only get better. What happens is wannabe editors prey on Apple's releases then when they see complaints they then publish a repeat and on it goes. Google maps is available as a web app so what is the problem.... If one does not like apple maps then use the google web app. Personally I have yet to find a real GPS that is accurate so this does not surprise me.

I tested it yesterday. I'm not really interested in the map except to maybe see how far away I am from my next turn, I do rely of the turn by turn instructions.

Having used Googles Navigation and maps I found it to be very similar in regards to the turn by turn voice. The timing for instructions were good. But there was an error just before I got home. It should have told me to make a right on to the street that leads to my street and it failed to do that and if I didn't know where I was going I would of ended up in a water park's parking lot.

The last time I used Google maps it missed by a mile and a half. I mean it wasn't even close but it did have me on the right street so I had to ask someone where a certain town was and I found my location.

So I won't hold this one error as an example of poor performance. Google had minor problems from time to time. I hear a lot of complaints, if that's true hopefully an update will improve that.

The new mapping program from Apple is far from good. It gives wrong directions has eliminated entire communities and provides very little of the features that google maps does. Street view was an element of google that I found very useful to me. I am a college processor and two of my students told me that the Apple maps got them lost yesterday. Also why should the end user suffer for the inability of Apple and Google to act like grown ups. The only damage is to the customer. If Apple does not want to incorporate g-maps into its IOS6 that's fine but allow for an app download. The end user should not be the hostage or the victim. Apple will be years developing a product as good as Google maps. I am very very disappointed Apple and will likely consider moving my business away from Apple because I do not feel like they view the customer as important.

gssimpson said:
The new mapping program from Apple is far from good. It gives wrong directions has eliminated entire communities and provides very little of the features that google maps does. Street view was an element of google that I found very useful to me. I am a college processor and two of my students told me that the Apple maps got them lost yesterday. Also why should the end user suffer for the inability of Apple and Google to act like grown ups. The only damage is to the customer. If Apple does not want to incorporate g-maps into its IOS6 that's fine but allow for an app download. The end user should not be the hostage or the victim. Apple will be years developing a product as good as Google maps. I am very very disappointed Apple and will likely consider moving my business away from Apple because I do not feel like they view the customer as important.

I've yet to find what people are complaining about with the maps. I've used the turn by turn almost everyday since iOS 6 rolled out and it's been flawless. It even knows the names of rural back roads, neither my Garmin Nuvi or my old droid with google even knew the back roads here. Since apple went with TomTom for its maps and nav sources I doubt it will take them years to catch google like you say considering TomTom sells one if the best nav units out there right now.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net

In Apple Maps the interface is changed, though not negatively so, and the performance will depend on the speed of your connection. Of course, that was also the case with Google's app, but the browser is a different feature so performance will vary.

I've been using ios 6 maps for a few days now and the turn by turn directions worked very well. The only issue I've had is that the interface is sometimes confusing,

Since we don't have unlimited data anymore I am concerned on how much of my data plan this will use.
Do say if I use for even a hour trip around town is it using my data plan the entire hour???

When google maps first came out it got me lost more times than it did to my destination. It's a learning process and it takes some time. Heck I had an android earlier this year that used google navigation and it directed to me a completely different hospital than the one I was looking for. I guess what I'm trying to say is, nothing is perfect. For every good point someone can always come up with ten bad ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado8405 said:
When google maps first came out it got me lost more times than it did to my destination. It's a learning process and it takes some time. Heck I had an android earlier this year that used google navigation and it directed to me a completely different hospital than the one I was looking for. I guess what I'm trying to say is, nothing is perfect. For every good point someone can always come up with ten bad ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^^^

My Garmin Nuvi has tried to send me down rail road tracks and two tracks. It doesn't matter what navigation you're using a good sense of direction and some common sense is still a must.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net

Its convenient to apologize now, after Apple have sold millions in preorders and concealed facts in the actual iPhone 5 announcement. They knew about their crap Maps for months, anyone who has used iOS 6 betas knew how bad they were.

Telling people the truth when you are selling the phone would've hurt, right Apple? What happened to 'it just works'?

I totally agree. My family has been apple users for years. Now we feel robbed. OS6 took stuff away and they don't allow you to downgrade if you don't like your new upgrade.

The point is: why are they reinventing the wheel? Google maps is good! they should have worked with google maps to make it better, not try to reinvent something already out there in many different formats. Google maps is integrated with most apps that provide directions including search engines, yelp, etc. Having a proprietary map program is a waste of positive energy. They should give us something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.