What's new

Apple Loses Another Prototype iPhone in a Bar!

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone_lost_in_bar.JPG

Cnet has an exclusive story today on its Apple blog about how it appears that an Apple employee has again lost an unreleased prototype iPhone in a bar! According to the report, the iPhone went AWOL in the Mission district in San Francisco at the end of July, causing a panic with Apple security as they tried to find the missing phone. Cnet says that according to its sources, the phone was lost at the Cava 22 tequila lounge in San Francisco, after which Apple contacted the bar and said that it had lost a “priceless” device there which it needed returned should it be located. And did Apple use “Find my iPhone” to trace the precious device, I hear you ask?! Well yes, according to Cnet, Apple did exactly that, tracing the phone to a family home in Bernal Heights in San Francisco. Apparently both the San Francisco Police and Apple investigators turned up at the house to question the home owner, and Apple even offered him money to return the phone “no questions asked”, but he said that he knew nothing about it. Apple has declined to comment on the story, and the San Francisco PD has said that no official report was filed with them by Apple. As Cnet notes, it was of course just over a year ago that an iPhone 4 prototype was left in a German beer garden in Redwood City, California, which ended up on Gawker. Pity that whoever has this one hasn’t taken any pictures of it so we can all get a good look at it!

Source: Apple loses another unreleased iPhone (exclusive) | Apple - CNET News, via 9to5 Mac

Maura said:
Cnet has an exclusive story today on its Apple blog about how it appears that an Apple employee has again lost an unreleased prototype iPhone in a bar! According to the report, the iPhone went AWOL in the Mission district in San Francisco at the end of July, causing a panic with Apple security as they tried to find the missing phone. Cnet says that according to its sources, the phone was lost at the Cava 22 tequila lounge in San Francisco, after which Apple contacted the bar and said that it had lost a “priceless” device there which it needed returned should it be located. And did Apple use “Find my iPhone” to trace the precious device, I hear you ask?! Well yes, according to Cnet, Apple did exactly that, tracing the phone to a family home in Bernal Heights in San Francisco. Apparently both the San Francisco Police and Apple investigators turned up at the house to question the home owner, and Apple even offered him money to return the phone “no questions asked”, but he said that he knew nothing about it. Apple has declined to comment on the story, and the San Francisco PD has said that no official report was filed with them by Apple. As Cnet notes, it was of course just over a year ago that an iPhone 4 prototype was left in a German beer garden in Redwood City, California, which ended up on Gawker. Pity that whoever has this one hasn’t taken any pictures of it so we can all get a good look at it!

Source: Apple loses another unreleased iPhone (exclusive) | Apple - CNET News, via 9to5 Mac

I knew I should've went to the city.

This story sounds kind of fishy, 2 phones in 2 years and both in bars. Do these people still have a job i wonder????

Unleashed said:
I am surprised that there are no leaked pictures of it online

I'm surprised. I grew up in the bernal heights area of San Francisco. Everyone up there is practically a freelance photographer. I'm surprised too...

iCrank said:
it's a set up, i tell you....(stewie voice)

Sounds like it.

Publicity stunt, I tell ya. Gets Apple's name all over the news; and builds hype for the mysterious new device. Just can't see any other way that the exact same thing is going to happen with 2 consecutive devices.

Dave12308 said:
Publicity stunt, I tell ya. Gets Apple's name all over the news; and builds hype for the mysterious new device. Just can't see any other way that the exact same thing is going to happen with 2 consecutive devices.

The hype started before apple even pulled this. Now it may have done something to the non tech people. They're probably prancing around all jiggly.

ragul96 said:
I think apple is doing this purposely to instil a hype among the general public..let's see what happens to the lose iphone.

Well the sfpd are starting to deny the story.

two years two phone, right before its launch.... what a tease~~~!!

I was right...I reported that the San francisco police department did not, I repeat did not have an ongoing investigation of the supposed prototype...

apparently it was sold on ebay for £120 and this transaction allowed the authorities to trace the buyer and get the iphone back....

Biggest bargain of the year much £120 !!! since the prototype of the iphone 4 sold for £3000 on gizmodo.... is this a sign of things to come... its not as good as the 4??